Visas for Hawaii clinical clerkship/elective

Started by pretoria
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

pretoria

New Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi there

I'm a med student from the UK, and I am planning to do a 5 week elective in Hawaii. However, as the University of Hawaii don't accept non-US/Canadians onto their elective program, I have applied to individual hospitals and family practices.

I now have an offer from a family doctor to supervise the elective - what I want to know is:

What kind of visa requirements are there for electives not undertaken through a medical school? Are there any other official requirements like medicals or temporary registration with a college of physicians/surgeons?

I will be trying to contact the US embassy in the UK, but I know they are not easy to get through to, and it isn't always easy to get straight answers from some officials - especially if they don't really understand the situation!

Thanks

pretoria
 
Hi there

I'm a med student from the UK, and I am planning to do a 5 week elective in Hawaii. However, as the University of Hawaii don't accept non-US/Canadians onto their elective program, I have applied to individual hospitals and family practices.

I now have an offer from a family doctor to supervise the elective - what I want to know is:

What kind of visa requirements are there for electives not undertaken through a medical school? Are there any other official requirements like medicals or temporary registration with a college of physicians/surgeons?

I will be trying to contact the US embassy in the UK, but I know they are not easy to get through to, and it isn't always easy to get straight answers from some officials - especially if they don't really understand the situation!

Thanks

pretoria
Hi pretoria,

I realise this is a rather late message to your original post, but I am in a similar position you were in 7 years ago. I wonder if you could help a fellow med student out - I'm looking for a elective in Hawaii, however I don't seem to be having any luck with the University of Hawaii or major hospitals. How did you find a doctor who was happy to supervise you?

Thanks!