Visible tattoo?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chajjohnson

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Looking for the opinion of mostly the older folks on the board. Just finished M4 and matched at a psych program. I am going to get a new tattoo soon and ideally I would like to get it on my forearm. This would make it visible with scrubs, and possibly if I roll up my sleeves. Would this be a bad idea? The only times I think I would be forced to wear short sleeves (scrubs) would be on medicine or ED rotations.

Members don't see this ad.

Is it a real beauty, a Mexican cutie?
You might just wear long sleeves under your scrubs.
Don't get neck, knuckle, or face tattoos. Avoid tattoos that might be considered obscene or cause others to question your judgement if you get a tattoo. Avoid controversial content.

A co-resident of mine has a tattoo on the back of her neck, usually obscured by hair. She very recently got a tattoo on her wrist of a robot taking a triceratops for a walk on a leash. She is one of the strongest residents in my program and loved by patients and superiors alike. That is my inspiration to you.

Members don't see this ad :)
Anterior neck tattoos are pathognomonic.

Reactions: 7 users
A-ok if the tattoo is a cytochrome interaction quick reference guide.
Otherwise, just wear a long sleeve shirt under your scrubs, or keep your white coat on.

Reactions: 1 user
I know I'm old, and I know some tattoos are worse than others, but for me, none show good judgment. Again, I know I'm obsolete, but I also know that I'm not alone. There will always be patients who don't like it. I would like to have an open mind, but I also don't want my investment banker to have tattoos. Just me, can't help it.

Reactions: 4 users
I mean, if you're psych it's not like you'll be in many scenarios where you'll actually be wearing short sleeves in a professional setting.

One of my classmates has multiple tattoos that are often visible - she's got one on her wrist and a couple (at least) on her forearms. Since she continues to wear them uncovered, I'm going to assume that it's never been a problem. Another woman in our program has a couple of visible tattoos and similarly continues to show them.

I agree with @MacDonaldTriad - I know my view on tattoos is overly conservative and not in keeping with the mainstream culture, but I'm just not a fan. I think they should be covered in professional situations, but that seems to be a minority viewpoint.

I mean, if you're psych it's not like you'll be in many scenarios where you'll actually be wearing short sleeves in a professional setting.

When I finally get burned out on treating the mentally ill and start my Equine Therapy Daycamp for Depr-anxious Teens and Also Immature Adults it will be short sleeves and cash only all day, every day.

Reactions: 8 users
There will always be patients who don't like it.

Honestly I imagine there would be more psych patients who would appreciate a psychiatrist with a tattoo. Would make them seem less stuffy and full-of-themselves, more down to earth. Not saying patients wouldn't like a psychiatrist without a tattoo. I'm sure most don't care either way. Just that I would guess of patients who have a strong feeling towards tattoos either way, in this day and age more would probably approve of a tattoo then disapprove.

Last edited:
Honestly I imagine there would be more psych patients who would appreciate a psychiatrist with a tattoo. Would make them seem less stuffy and full-of-themselves, more down to earth.
Some. Probably not most. I get a lot of patients who fired their last psychiatrist for not being professional enough and too much like a buddy.

Some. Probably not most. I get a lot of patients who fired their last psychiatrist for not being professional enough and too much like a buddy.

And I've seen tons of patients, both in a clinical setting and in my personal life, talk about how they like how their psychiatrist seems like a normal down-to-earth person. The term "fired" in your quote seems unnecessarily negative. That just sounds like the patient trying out a few psychiatrists looking for a personality they like. That's how it should be, because it is basically self-selecting for a compatible relationship. Some patients will like and respond better to more aloof, "professional" psychiatrists, others will prefer the more down-to-earth type.

I think Tattoos should be acceptable, but to a minority they never will be and that is most likely a fact that will continue. I don't need a reason not to get a tattoo, but this is an argument against them. "My tattoo should be accepted by everyone", yes, and it isn't.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I can only recall one resident so far in my tenure with a visible (quite tasteful and meaningful) tattoo, but our RNs, SWs, cripes, even my pastors are inked up these days.
I guess if you have yet to do it, wait until you see what your clinical teaching environment appears able to tolerate, and take your cue from there. If it's a done deal, well, accept it and move on.

And I've seen tons of patients, both in a clinical setting and in my personal life, talk about how they like how their psychiatrist seems like a normal down-to-earth person. The term "fired" in your quote seems unnecessarily negative. That just sounds like the patient trying out a few psychiatrists looking for a personality they like. That's how it should be, because it is basically self-selecting for a compatible relationship. Some patients will like and respond better to more aloof, "professional" psychiatrists, others will prefer the more down-to-earth type.
I said "fired" because that's exactly how it was, I chose my wording intentionally. These patients were angry. Can't say I blame them. I'm not going to tell them they can't be angry with a psychiatrist who wants to be their buddy, not their doctor. You can be down to earth without being unprofessional. At least, I can.

I have one on my forearm and am likely to get one on the opposite forearm sooner or later. I generally keep my arms covered, either with long sleeves or my white coat.

Having said that, for patients with tattoos, I've often found asking them about them is a good ice-breaker.

Might depend on what specific tattoo you end up with!
Honestly, nowadays I hope this would not be a big deal. I certainly wouldn't judge someone by this, if they were competent otherwise ... unless they were inked from head to toe!

It depends where you are studying and where you hope to practice. In big cities I doubt a lot of people care. I see residents with purple hair, tats and nose rings all the time. If you get knuckle tattoos of H-A-T-E and L-O-V-E like in Night of the Hunter, post a pic to the thread!

An addiction psychiatrist with a tat on his hands that says "Straight Edge" could be a good thing or a bad thing....you decide? Dr. Fugazi probably wouldn't make the best addiction doc though...just my opinion.

Good enough judgement to wait until you're accepted to residency.

Keep in mind that there are still workplaces which require tattoos be covered; might as well check your hospital attire policies now.

Why not get it somewhere less visible? I'm left wondering what wanting people to "accidentally" see your tattoo when you roll up your sleeves--or take off your fleece while wearing scrubs--means to you. Or maybe I'm projecting.

It depends where you are studying and where you hope to practice. In big cities I doubt a lot of people care. I see residents with purple hair, tats and nose rings all the time. If you get knuckle tattoos of H-A-T-E and L-O-V-E like in Night of the Hunter, post a pic to the thread!

Also consider this gem, seen recently on Reddit.

Attachments

• h2ujxrlr25t01.jpg
    h2ujxrlr25t01.jpg
    104 KB · Views: 91
Reactions: 3 users
If you don’t already have a visible tattoo and you’re not 1000% sure that getting one is an excellent idea for you - jfc don’t do it!

If you don’t already have a visible tattoo and you’re not 1000% sure that getting one is an excellent idea for you - jfc don’t do it!
I know I'm the stick in the mud, but just to beat this dead horse one more time. If you took the universe of people and divided them between those that are 1000% sure getting a visible tattoo is an excellent idea from those that are only 999% or less, how would you characterize the differences among the two groups in general? You may think you couldn't, but the point is that a significant minority think you can.

I know for sure that someone asking a question about whether it’s a good idea isn’t sure it’s a good idea. And it isn’t a good idea objectively either.

I'm left wondering what wanting people to "accidentally" see your tattoo when you roll up your sleeves--or take off your fleece while wearing scrubs--means to you. Or maybe I'm projecting.

I'm not sure how you think a forearm tattoo would be about having people "accidentally" see it. The whole point of a tattoo that visible is to have people see it. And I said specifically how I could cover it up at work. Sounds like you're projecting.

I know for sure that someone asking a question about whether it’s a good idea isn’t sure it’s a good idea. And it isn’t a good idea objectively either.

That's ridiculous. As someone who has no experience in stocks, I could ask someone if investing in the stock market is a good idea. That doesn't mean it's a bad idea. In this case it's probably an objectively good idea.

If you’re asking, how are you really sure you want it no matter what? If you were sure you’d already have it without asking anyone.

If you’re asking, how are you really sure you want it no matter what? If you were sure you’d already have it without asking anyone.
Sillso is still so right. Stick to your guns. (pun intended) Most tattoo wearers have had more than one moment of regret. Not sure how many moments of pride, but I hope the math works out for most of them.

Here’s why it is objectively unwise: there is no objective upside. You get no extra money or respect, and your having a tattoo will not provide any added value to your community or society. There is no objective necessity to get a tattoo. There is objective downside: it costs money and is irreversible if it turns out you don’t like having it. There is potential downside to how you may be perceived by some people, and potential upside if some people think your tattoo is super cool. The only real upside is subjective - if having this tattoo will significantly improve your quality of life somehow. Verdict: unwise irreversible action.

If you already had tattoos that subjectively made you happy, I’d tell you it’s probably not going to ruin your life or anything unless they’re on your face/neck/are racist or vulgar and there wouldn’t be anything to do about it but wear long sleeves or makeup anyway. But you have the opportunity not to face the issue at all so don’t.

Assuming you’re not part of a culture that highly values tattoos for religious or cultural reasons because if so you’d already have them without doubting the wisdom of getting.

Got the tattoo.

Siliso, I find it kind of disappointing you seem to think a worthy action only gets you more money, respect, or provides some tangible benefit to the community. Also, you sound like you're living in the 1950's when tattoos were for gang members or ex-cons. Regarding respect and some tangible benefit, I have another tattoo and there are tons of people my age and older who love to look at, admire, and hear the story behind the tattoo. I would say that is a form of respect and benefit to the community, just like any art. A good tattoo is an artistic representation of an important story or idea in a person's life, and most people who were born after 1960 understand that.

I imagine there will be tons of younger patients I will see who would find common ground and understanding with a psychiatrist with a tattoo.

I imagine there will be tons of younger patients I will see who would find common ground and understanding with a psychiatrist with a tattoo.
Probably more than will find common ground and understanding in observing that their shrink drives a BMW, just to pick one visible symbol of ostentatiousness.

I'm not sure how you think a forearm tattoo would be about having people "accidentally" see it.
This would make it visible with scrubs, and possibly if I roll up my sleeves.
But maybe I was misinterpreting and you were thinking of this as opportunities you'll get to show off your tat in the workplace without being "at fault."
find common ground and understanding with a psychiatrist with a tattoo.
I'd say that you're not exactly looking to identify with your patients or have them identify with you. The patient-psychiatrist frame is a useful thing. Good clinical skills are all you need to connect with patients.

But maybe I was misinterpreting and you were thinking of this as opportunities you'll get to show off your tat in the workplace without being "at fault."

No, that's not at all what I was asking about.

Got the tattoo.

A good tattoo is an artistic representation of an important story or idea in a person's life, and most people who were born after 1960 understand that.
:smack:

Unless you were a 50 year old medical student, best you don't conjecture what people born in 1960 think. Art enriches our lives, but the human body is not a canvas to be messed with. And yes, I can just barely not remember when Kennedy was shot. Most people my age don't like tattoos unless you are a non-com in the Navy or are a felon. It will be interesting to see all of those tramp stamps in the nursing homes in a few more years.

Art enriches our lives, but the human body is not a canvas to be messed with.

This is an opinion, not a fact. There are whole cultures and a lot of other people that think the opposite.

Most people my age don't like tattoos unless you are a non-com in the Navy or are a felon.

That's the one "conjecture" I made about people born before 1960 and you just confirmed it yourself. Now that we're in a day and age where a significant number of medical students and physicians have tattoos, it's probably time to change your opinion.

It will be interesting to see all of those tramp stamps in the nursing homes in a few more years.

I never understand this objection to tattoos. What part of the body does look good in a nursing home?

I wasn't born before 1960 and this pendulum has already started to swing back from hip fad to "Oh yah, I remember the 80s when Warner Brother Cartoon tattoos were the rage". Things come and go. This one just happens to involve permanent ink.

Oh FFS, not everyone likes tattoos, it doesn't make them a bunch of old fogeys it's just different strokes for different folks. I have a celtic shield knot and pentagram tattooed on my chest, and as long as someone doesn't start screaming their objections in my face then whatever, all good, move on nothing to see here.

Although I have to say if anyone is questioning whether they should even get a tattoo in the first place, that's usually a good indication that they're not ready for a tattoo and will more than likely end up at the laser removal clinic sooner rather than later. It shouldn't be about what other people think, or how you can use it to connect with others, etc etc, it should be about 'is this something I want placed permanently on my body. If the answer to that question is not a resounding and unequivocable 'Yes!', then I'd say don't get the tattoo.

Here’s why it is objectively unwise: there is no objective upside. You get no extra money or respect, and your having a tattoo will not provide any added value to your community or society. There is no objective necessity to get a tattoo. There is objective downside: it costs money and is irreversible if it turns out you don’t like having it. There is potential downside to how you may be perceived by some people, and potential upside if some people think your tattoo is super cool. The only real upside is subjective - if having this tattoo will significantly improve your quality of life somehow. Verdict: unwise irreversible action.

If you already had tattoos that subjectively made you happy, I’d tell you it’s probably not going to ruin your life or anything unless they’re on your face/neck/are racist or vulgar and there wouldn’t be anything to do about it but wear long sleeves or makeup anyway. But you have the opportunity not to face the issue at all so don’t.

Assuming you’re not part of a culture that highly values tattoos for religious or cultural reasons because if so you’d already have them without doubting the wisdom of getting.

Damn, man, you're just dropping truth bombs all over the place! :D

Respect.

Professionals may be interested to know that tattoos were common in Georgian and Victorian individuals of peerage. It wasn't until the famed physician/inventor of criminology Dr. Lombroso reconceptualized the criminal mind and used tattoos as a part of his idea, that the tattoo became more taboo.

This is not true in the south, or Texas. Not if you're female anyway.

A good tattoo is an artistic representation of an important story or idea in a person's life, and most people who were born after 1960 understand that.

I was born well after 1960 and I don't think that at all. I can't stand tattoos. I don't think they're "art" and I don't know why anyone in their sane mind would ever get one. I am not saying this because I want to debate the subject or discourage the OP, but just to provide an example of someone born well after 1960 who holds this view. I have plenty of peers who feel the same.

One of my classmates has multiple tattoos that are often visible - she's got one on her wrist and a couple (at least) on her forearms. Since she continues to wear them uncovered, I'm going to assume that it's never been a problem. Another woman in our program has a couple of visible tattoos and similarly continues to show them.

I agree with @MacDonaldTriad - I know my view on tattoos is overly conservative and not in keeping with the mainstream culture, but I'm just not a fan. I think they should be covered in professional situations, but that seems to be a minority viewpoint.
Ok, I'm 16 and I have two half sleeves, one on each arm, on my right side I can cover 90% of it with a T-shirt, but on my left arm it goes to about an inch above my elbow. I'm about to go to basic training for the military and I'm going as a combat medic. After my 4 years I was planning on going to med school and becoming a physician. Would my tattoos stop me?

I was born well after 1960 and I don't think that at all. I can't stand tattoos. I don't think they're "art" and I don't know why anyone in their sane mind would ever get one. I am not saying this because I want to debate the subject or discourage the OP, but just to provide an example of someone born well after 1960 who holds this view. I have plenty of peers who feel the same.
So, I was shot when I was 15 and decided to get my tattoos to remind me of my loved ones (mother and sister) if it were to happen again plus some art to calm me down when I'm stressed from college or work. If somroso with your views were to interview or notice my tattoos, what would be your thoughts?

It is difficult to equate putting ink in your dermis to being shot or stressed out in college. If you want to rationalize the decision, you are still left with "I decided I wanted to do it". Tattoos are not on the coping mechanism list for most people.

Ok, I'm 16 and I have two half sleeves, one on each arm, on my right side I can cover 90% of it with a T-shirt, but on my left arm it goes to about an inch above my elbow. I'm about to go to basic training for the military and I'm going as a combat medic. After my 4 years I was planning on going to med school and becoming a physician. Would my tattoos stop me?

No, because no one is going to see it 95% of the time if you’re in professional dress. I think as long as you don’t have ink on your face or your hands you’ll be fine since you can cover most everything on your arms, legs, and torso.

As mentioned above, I have a couple of colleagues who don’t even bother covering their small and fairly benign tattoos. I have never heard of them getting negative feedback for it.

Avoid facial tats....some psychiatrists believe it is pathognomonic for ASPD.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I have to assume that all the folks in the if-you-have-to-ask-then-you-shouldn’t-do-it camp are still single and renters.

Study hard, knock out under grad while active duty. Study for mcats. Get into Med school. Then decide if you still want Milmed. Keep the tattoos above your current ones.