Visibly Pregnant at Peds Interviews?

Started by robotgirl
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

robotgirl

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am wondering if anyone has had experience regarding interviewing while visibly pregnant at the Peds programs? I am looking at the most competitive programs, which is part of why I am nervous...there are some general postings about this on SDN but I could not find one for Peds. For anyone who has had some experience with this, did you run into problems? or did you feel you were treated the same way you would have been had you not been pregnant? Any advice?
 
I am wondering if anyone has had experience regarding interviewing while visibly pregnant at the Peds programs? I am looking at the most competitive programs, which is part of why I am nervous...there are some general postings about this on SDN but I could not find one for Peds. For anyone who has had some experience with this, did you run into problems? or did you feel you were treated the same way you would have been had you not been pregnant? Any advice?
I look at it this way:
1. It's better (by far) to be visibly pregnant in Nov/Dec/Jan, and delivered by spring, than it is to be going into labor on June 30.
2. Of all the specialties, peds is one of the least likely to penalize an applicant for having children.
3. You can certainly explain that your timing was intentional, so as not to interfere with your internship (although this is straying into "illegal question" territory, so I'd take note if an interviewer brings it up).
4. What would you do instead, not get pregnant?

Obviously, though, I can't speak from personal experience, so maybe some women can chime in.
 
I was not visibly preggers, but I told everyone that I was pregnant on most of my interview days (some it just didn't come up...) I interviewed at competitive programs, and matched at my #1- Cincinnati Children's. I purposefully told the most competitive programs, because, frankly, if they treated me different, I wanted to know...that program wouldn't be the one for me. I don't care how competitive, I need to be in a program that would accept me and my son without reservations. I believe I found that program...and I was well received at all of my interviews. Good luck!