Vision Requirement for Optho

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

orangeblue

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm wondering what is the vision requirements for ophthamologists?
I have a high myopia (-14 OD) and considerable astigmatism as a 23 year old, but wear contacts/glasses. I'm at risk for retinal detachment.
Otherwise my eyes are healthy.

Do I qualify as a potential ophthamologist?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I'm wondering what is the vision requirements for opthamologists?
I have a high myopia (-14 OD) and considerable astigmatism as a 23 year old, but wear contacts/glasses. I'm at risk for retinal detachment.
Otherwise my eyes are healthy.

Do I qualify as a potential opthamologist?

If you learn how to spell ophthalmologist, then yes.

Thanks. I was wondering where this "requirement" stems from and why would someone with myopia/astigmatism be Ok working in the field and doing surgical work vs. someone who has other vision-related problems? Other than the myopia/astigmatism and the risk for retinal detachment (due to the high myopia), my eyes are perfectly healthy and no problems.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks. I was wondering where this "requirement" stems from and why would someone with myopia/astigmatism be Ok working in the field and doing surgical work vs. someone who has other vision-related problems? Other than the myopia/astigmatism and the risk for retinal detachment (due to the high myopia), my eyes are perfectly healthy and no problems.

Ophthalmology requires good vision and depth perception. If you are blind in one eye, don't do ophthalmology. Most applicants will self-select themselves out of the applicant pool if they have bad vision.

Some residencies require an eye exam as part of the application or a screening exam during the interview. I think they are less common these days though.

Thanks for insight. And my eye conditions are fine (based on what I have stated) and would not serve as a barrier at all in this field ? Is because myopia/astigmatism is not "bad" vision?

Thanks for insight. And my eye conditions are fine (based on what I have stated) and would not serve as a barrier at all in this field ? Is because myopia/astigmatism is not "bad" vision?

What matters is best corrected visual acuity. Without glasses, you are functionally blind. With glaases/contacts, it sounds you should be able to see well enough to examine a patient.

How about surgical work? Is this going to be possible?

My myoptia increased steadily from age 6 onwards until late teens. I do not think it will get much worst now. Do you any any thoughts on this?

Last edited:
Yes it's possible. A close friend of mine is a -14D myope ou and is an excellent cataract surgeon. I also know of other high myopes (judging from the appearance of their glasses) who are great ophthalmologists and surgeons. I think good "best corrected" vision is important and the vision requirement is mainly for depth perception (but even depth perception comes with practice.)

That being said, there are some risks with high myopia: RDs, glaucoma, staphylomas and CNV. Not to worry you too much because the risks are low. But if you lost some vision in one eye you probably wouldn't be able to do surgery, except for maybe oculoplastics. I also wouldn't mention the high myopia in your application.

How about surgical work? Is this going to be possible?

My myoptia increased steadily from age 6 onwards until late teens. I do not think it will get much worst now. Do you any any thoughts on this?

Nobody cares about how blind you are w/o your glasses. You're going to be wearing glasses while you work.

As long as you best corrected vision is normal, then there won't be an issue.