-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Visit Days 2009
Started by pastorius
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Is anyone going to Harvard or Yale's visit days? I can't make up my mind whether to cross the country to check them out, when the high cost of tuition there is steering my decision towards some the of the great public schools I got into.
I'm also having a difficult time deciding. I'm going to Harvard's open house day. What program are you looking at?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm also having a difficult time deciding. I'm going to Harvard's open house day. What program are you looking at?
I've decided to go to Harvard's visit day but not Yale's. They are exactly a week apart and I live on the West Coast. I'm looking at the SM Epi program. See you there!
Generally, what are people wearing to these things? It's hard to gauge what attire is required....
I emailed UCLA about attire and they said theirs was casual, so I don't know what that even means.
This was discussed earlier in this thread. Just go for business casual - khakis or other semi-casual pants and a nice top. If you wear jeans, make 'em dark denim, and dress them up with a nice shirt/sweater and heels (if you're a woman, lol).
1
154175
Just wondering, since I'm going to the GWU Open House this weekend--what should I wear? Don't know how formal it's going to be...
Business casual probably...
But I wanted to go and can't make it (sick/travel too expensive), so if you could share your insights when you get back, I'd appreciate it!
I went to the visit day at Hopkins, and it was great. I felt a little discouraged about Baltimore when I first arrived (not unexpected), but the day at the campus was excellent. The professors were eager to get to know the students, and took notes on our interests and background. I left feeling confident that Hopkins really deserves the #1 spot.
Business casual probably...
But I wanted to go and can't make it (sick/travel too expensive), so if you could share your insights when you get back, I'd appreciate it!
Hey Dogfoot!
OK--I can only speak to my impression of the Global Health department, but I was actually very happy with the candor that the GH faculty expressed about why they work at GW. The head of the program, Dr. Sherry, basically admitted that the GW program is not "the best" GH program. He admitted that JHU was, but said not to repeat that outside of our meeting (oops). What he did say was that GW is the only public health school in DC, and the program is committed to turning out students who are truly involved in the practice of global health (as opposed to the study/academia side of public health, I guess?) He said you can't expect to just study and do well in your classes and graduate and get a great job--which is true of anywhere, of course. He said that in order to succeed it's important that students take a proactive role in shaping their career, leveraging the great internship/job opportunities available in DC.
On top of that, many of the main faculty had their PhDs from Johns Hopkins, and said the reason they chose to come to GW to teach, was the program's dedication to the practice of GH in DC, including policy making, etc.
I honestly came away more impressed than I thought I would be originally.
Hope that helps!
I attended Emory's open house this past week specifically for their Global Health department and Peace Corps Masters International program. Prior to the open house I was also considering Tulane University and the University of Puerto Rico.
The open house was set up to emphasize interaction between prospective students and faculty. I was able to meet a large number of dynamic, driven students and teachers in a very short amount of time. I went in looking for a combination of compassion, brilliance and determination. I found this among Emory's Global Health faculty as well as through the other public health departments. I wandered around their public health building trying to get a feel for the place, faculty were happy to share their time with me without appointment.
Emory is a large public health school which caters to a wide breadth of interest within and outside of public health. Whether it be more quantitative leaning, or the more qualitative approach. I myself am more interested in the social/cultural side of health and Emory offers such things.
I sat in on a Global Health Human Rights course. To my left sat a student from Iraq who had such applied insight into the topics. It was splendid hearing his perspective on international health policy contrasting other students in the class. I get jittery just thinking about the potential debate and thought on the horizon.
Anyway, I'm convinced, I will be an MPH student in the Global Health department this fall at Emory. I would love to hear from other students that will be attending Emory this fall. my e-mail is [email protected].
-Roger
The open house was set up to emphasize interaction between prospective students and faculty. I was able to meet a large number of dynamic, driven students and teachers in a very short amount of time. I went in looking for a combination of compassion, brilliance and determination. I found this among Emory's Global Health faculty as well as through the other public health departments. I wandered around their public health building trying to get a feel for the place, faculty were happy to share their time with me without appointment.
Emory is a large public health school which caters to a wide breadth of interest within and outside of public health. Whether it be more quantitative leaning, or the more qualitative approach. I myself am more interested in the social/cultural side of health and Emory offers such things.
I sat in on a Global Health Human Rights course. To my left sat a student from Iraq who had such applied insight into the topics. It was splendid hearing his perspective on international health policy contrasting other students in the class. I get jittery just thinking about the potential debate and thought on the horizon.
Anyway, I'm convinced, I will be an MPH student in the Global Health department this fall at Emory. I would love to hear from other students that will be attending Emory this fall. my e-mail is [email protected].
-Roger
I attended Emory's open house this past week specifically for their Global Health department and Peace Corps Masters International program. Prior to the open house I was also considering Tulane University and the University of Puerto Rico.
The open house was set up to emphasize interaction between prospective students and faculty. I was able to meet a large number of dynamic, driven students and teachers in a very short amount of time. I went in looking for a combination of compassion, brilliance and determination. I found this among Emory's Global Health faculty as well as through the other public health departments. I wandered around their public health building trying to get a feel for the place, faculty were happy to share their time with me without appointment.
Emory is a large public health school which caters to a wide breadth of interest within and outside of public health. Whether it be more quantitative leaning, or the more qualitative approach. I myself am more interested in the social/cultural side of health and Emory offers such things.
I sat in on a Global Health Human Rights course. To my left sat a student from Iraq who had such applied insight into the topics. It was splendid hearing his perspective on international health policy contrasting other students in the class. I get jittery just thinking about the potential debate and thought on the horizon.
Anyway, I'm convinced, I will be an MPH student in the Global Health department this fall at Emory. I would love to hear from other students that will be attending Emory this fall. my e-mail is [email protected].
-Roger
Roger,
I also attended Visit Emory last week and was very impressed by the interest that the current students showed in us prospectives. I was also convinced that the school faculty showed a strong interest in its students and their success. As a future student in the EPI department, I'm excited by the prospects of working for the CDC as a student (especially work-study). Prior to my visit to Emory, I was considering enrollment at GWU in Washington, DC, also for EPI.
Anyway, congratulations on your decision. Let me know how you are progressing during your transition to Emory in the fall.
Jmatthews & Roger,
Congratulations on your decision to attend Emory next fall, it's one you will not regret. I'm about to wrap up my first year here as an Epi major. If you have any questions about Emory, RSPH or Atlanta feel free to ask. Your best bet is via a PM because I don't know if I'll visit this thread again.
Cheers,
J
EDIT: If you're wondering who I was for visit Emory, I am the treasurer of the SGA. I was the guy standing at the kegs filling everyones cups with local Atlanta beers Thursday night!
Congratulations on your decision to attend Emory next fall, it's one you will not regret. I'm about to wrap up my first year here as an Epi major. If you have any questions about Emory, RSPH or Atlanta feel free to ask. Your best bet is via a PM because I don't know if I'll visit this thread again.
Cheers,
J
EDIT: If you're wondering who I was for visit Emory, I am the treasurer of the SGA. I was the guy standing at the kegs filling everyones cups with local Atlanta beers Thursday night!
Did anyone go to BU's Open House a few weekends ago? I just got accepted yesterday, and likely won't be able to go to the next scheduled one on April 17th.
Hi kelwalk. I was at BU's Open House on 3/20 and I am about 99% positive that I will be attending BU. Let me know if you have any specific questions. There are also continuing posts around here from current BU students that I've found quite helpful.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Similar threads
- Replies
- 1
- Views
- 3K