WannabBigshot

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Mar 27, 2009
Status
Pre-Dental
Hi, :)

For those of you who have accepted or finished AEGD/GPR programs, did you guys visit your program before your interview? I heard it's plus because it shows strong interest to the program while you learn more about it.. I couldn't have done that because of money and time, and also I thought it would be just waste if I ended up not accepted to those programs. However, now I'm thinking is it still possible to get into those competitive programs such as VA hospitals without pre-visit? Any thoughts or experiences will be appreciated....
Thanks

awalke12

10+ Year Member
Mar 4, 2007
Status
Pre-Dental
Hi, :)

For those of you who have accepted or finished AEGD/GPR programs, did you guys visit your program before your interview? I heard it's plus because it shows strong interest to the program while you learn more about it.. I couldn't have done that because of money and time, and also I thought it would be just waste if I ended up not accepted to those programs. However, now I'm thinking is it still possible to get into those competitive programs such as VA hospitals without pre-visit? Any thoughts or experiences will be appreciated....
Thanks

I did that for Endo programs I applied to this cycle. Out of the 5 programs I visited, I got interview offers at all of them and was accepted at the first two programs before I accepted and cancelled the rest of my interviews.

I think visiting the program before the interview allows them to attach a face/personality to your application and it allows you the opportunity to see a real day in the life as a resident at that program. It also gives you an opportunity to make connections with the current residents who often play a role in the selection process.

I highly recommend it!!

FanOfCostco

7+ Year Member
Jan 30, 2012
Status
Pre-Dental
i recommend doing it. even though I could not go visit them due to scheduling conflicts, i still got interview invites because i emailed them.

OP
W

WannabBigshot

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Mar 27, 2009
Status
Pre-Dental
i recommend doing it. even though I could not go visit them due to scheduling conflicts, i still got interview invites because i emailed them.
Hey congrats! If you don't mind, which program did you get an interview? And what kind of emails have you sent? About a month ago, I asked about the program and such,, did you do something more?

FanOfCostco

7+ Year Member
Jan 30, 2012
Status
Pre-Dental
Hey congrats! If you don't mind, which program did you get an interview? And what kind of emails have you sent? About a month ago, I asked about the program and such,, did you do something more?
All I did was email the program directors to ask if i can visit. I got an interview at USC and Cedar Siani from emailing them

Aug 29, 2006
New York
Status
Dentist
Visiting is more for you than for the program. The application is far more important. A visit from a strong applicant does show interest, and can help. A visit from a very weak applicant does not improve anything.

onza

2+ Year Member
Jul 23, 2015
I did that for Endo programs I applied to this cycle. Out of the 5 programs I visited, I got interview offers at all of them and was accepted at the first two programs before I accepted and cancelled the rest of my interviews.

I think visiting the program before the interview allows them to attach a face/personality to your application and it allows you the opportunity to see a real day in the life as a resident at that program. It also gives you an opportunity to make connections with the current residents who often play a role in the selection process.

I highly recommend it!!
Awalke, did u call and visit closer to summer or is it better to start now? Did u call the residency directors directly? Thanks

awalke12

10+ Year Member
Mar 4, 2007
Status
Pre-Dental
I started doing it around this time last year. I just emailed the program directors and set up dates to visit.

If you really want to impress, visit programs now and then go to AAE in New Orleans and bump into the program directors there.

Imrizzle

7+ Year Member
May 16, 2010
Status
Dental Student
Visiting is more for you than for the program. The application is far more important. A visit from a strong applicant does show interest, and can help. A visit from a very weak applicant does not improve anything.
Just curious as to what entails a weak applicant?
Thanks!