Visiting EM Rotation. Suggestions?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Christiangirl

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi. I am looking for a fourth year visiting EM rotation. I would LOVE to be in a hospital where students get to do and see a lot, most of the patients are diagnosed and treated by EM docs, and not triaged, diverse population, preferably urban. Can someone recommend such a place?

Members don't see this ad.

A friend of mine who did his residency at Detroit Receiving in Michigan said that his primary reason for going there was that they allowed him to do so much hands-on work when he rotated through there as a medical student.

Do a rotation at Vanderbilt. The faculty are awesome, you'll get a lot of lectures (over 100 hours during the month), and when you work, you check out with an attending and YOU are responsible for everything with the patient. The attendings rarely move patients without your presenting new labs, data, etc. and discussing treatment plans with them.

Members don't see this ad :)
Christiana Care. Excellent program, 150k+ patients per year, good mix community/urban, excellent autonomy and endless procedures if you want them, and - the best part - no end of rotation test, which means your grade is a 100% reflection of how you work, not how you take a test. Well respected program to get a letter from.

Oh- I almost forgot - they put you up in the Hilton for FREE for the entire month.

Summary - 14-16 8 hour shifts of high quality, modern education, free lodging at the Hilton, 25 minutes from Philadelphia, 2 hours from New York City, 1 hour from the beach, 1 hour from Baltimore, and great residents and faculty.

Tampa General Hospital. Great, friendly staff, high acuity, diverse patient population with endless procedure oppurtunities if you seek them out. Nursing staff is top notch and fun to work with. Residents are great too (Except for that Quinn guy)- (j/k Quinn), Plenty of great things to do when you are not working your 14 8- hour shifts.

Originally posted by Geek Medic
Yes, Quinn is a guy.

Man that sucks, that chick in the picture was hot.

Originally posted by SewerRat
Man that sucks, that chick in the picture was hot.

Yeah I am pretty hot in that pic.

At our program, since there are so few EM residents (only 6 interns, with maybe one or two working in a month) there are ample opportunities to do procedures. Granted, traumas are probably a no go for the visiting student (besides helpign with foleys and c-spien precuastions and what not)... but in regards to the ED patients you can do whatever you want.

Q, DO

Another thing... If you want procedures, do surgical critical care at Memorial Health in Savannah.

I did about 5 chest tubes, 2 PEG's, 4 or 5 percutaneous trachs, and god knows how many central lines (at least 15, not counting over the wire changes).

St. Lukes Roosevelt is great. Its in manhatten, you can stay in columbia housing. Te med students only do 10 hour shifts and they work directly with attendings. so, its all your patient. There are no residents/interns who would supercede procedures. (in fact, I had an ms 4 try to sign out his NG tube and I told him no way... he needed to do it.)

Basically the MS4's function close to interns here... and nothing beats the city.

Except not being in the city, but hey, to each his own.

Since when is 100 hours of lecture a month a good thing? I didn't get that many in medical school.

UF-Jax Procedures as many as you want. ETs,Lines,you name it. Limited housing available in the dorms on campus.

I did a month at Mayo and it was amazing. You get all the procedures on your patients, and if you get along with the resident who is on, you can do al of their procedures as well. I even got to do a flight shift during my month, but that took a lot of pestering the right people to get that. There are a lot of opportunities to do outside things as well. There was also a disaster drill during my month there that I was allowed to participate in. You work really hard this month, but I learned more here that I have in any other rotation. The only downside is housing and food are not provided. There are cheap places to live (I recommend the 2nd street Commons) that are close, but they are not free. Feel free to ask any questions.

If you want to read more detailed reviews and have some idea of where you want to go (location wise) go to scutwork.com. most of the program reviews are by MS4's.

thanks for the site, roja. you rock my world!

Originally posted by uclacrewdude
thanks for the site, roja. you rock my world!

I live to assist. *g*

Rotated at Denver and highly recommend it. The interns and 4th year students are treated the same way and have equal autonomy. Pick up a patient. Discuss with the senior resident that's running the department (the department, not individual patients). Treat the patient. Super learning experience. Great, diverse pathology. Big-name letter of recc. writers. Also a short lecture for the interns and students at the end of each shift.

Denver is supposed to be a good program. However, I had a friend who rotated there but ended up not ranking it in the end (despite interviews) becasue it seems they kindo f sold their soul to their surgery department It is a 4 year program and the first year is a mandated surgical internship there.

*meh*

I would say pick a rotation somewhere where you are thinkin gyou want to go.

Thanks for all of the helpful advice guys. I am not going into EM, so I just want a fun, busy rotation where I get to do alot. It wouldn't hurt if part of it was subsidized :). Any more suggestions based on this?

Just one more thing - since you are not going into EM, please schedule your rotation for January or later. That will give those applying to EM who need EM rotations and letters the chance to get them in time and to go to places they may want to do residency in.

I rotated at Vanderbilt and highly recommend this rotation to MS-IV's that want to have intensive lectures (at least 3h qd!) and incredible clinical procedures. Just remember that VUMC is a top-tier program and away rotation can be a double-edged sword. Be prepared to work and score an incredible SLOR from Dr. Slovis/Wrenn. The month I rotated, I was with 4 other away students and 11 Vandy students. I pulled down an Honors but only with lots-o-time learning the material. Best of luck to ya'll.:idea: :idea: :thumbup: