Visual Orientation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drboris

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I am interested in radiology, but I am really bad at histology and pathology. I am thinking radiology will be different because imaging studies actually resemble anatomy and just cells in a slide. Can I still be good at radiology, assuming I try to learn as much as I can during residency, or am I just not good enough visually to read imaging studies?

Are the skills req for path and rads?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

drboris said:
Hi Guys,

I am interested in radiology, but I am really bad at histology and pathology. I am thinking radiology will be different because imaging studies actually resemble anatomy and just cells in a slide. Can I still be good at radiology, assuming I try to learn as much as I can during residency, or am I just not good enough visually to read imaging studies?

Are the skills req for path and rads?

Thanks

I'm just an M1, so take my response with a grain of salt. It seems you are just doubting yourself. I'm sure you can be good at it if you work hard enough. Have you ever taken a radiology elective? I'm taking one right now and it seems really really cool to me. I'd say that if you are genuinely interested in the field, then don't let your doubts keep you from pursuing it. Also, judging from my Histology class, and the Radiology elective I'm taking, the two seem very different. The only similarity they seem to have is that you have to use your eyes for both of them. I guess that if you are color blind then histo and path would be difficult, but most imaging techniques are black and white, so color blindness shouldn't be a problem with rads.

Members don't see this ad :)
On this same token, how cold do you have to have your gross anatomy to be a good radiologist. I mean obviously its a big part of the job, but do you feel like its something that can be relearned during rotations/residency or is it more beneficial to know it solidly during the cadaver sessions of med1.

Having good visual - spatial skills is definitely good to have as a radiologist. However, unless your have serious deficiencies in this (which you most likely don't), it should prevent you from being a good radiologist.

As for anatomy. Knowing it really well in m1 year would be great, but you will forget much of it no matter what. You can definitely relearn it in residency.