vit c def/vit k def

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aspiringmd1015

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
in vit C deficiency is PTT increased? as you need the SEC to get the intrinsic pathway started? i believe in uw it said something about using PT and bleeding time to differntiate vitk and vit c deficiency, as ptt and pt would be icnreased in vit k def, but in vit c def bleeding time is increased, and im not sure about the PTT really being increased?

Members don't see this ad.

in vit C deficiency is PTT increased? as you need the SEC to get the intrinsic pathway started? i believe in uw it said something about using PT and bleeding time to differntiate vitk and vit c deficiency, as ptt and pt would be icnreased in vit k def, but in vit c def bleeding time is increased, and im not sure about the PTT really being increased?
No, aPTT is not increased in scurvy. Bleeding time could be increased in theory because of defective collagen lining vessels, although this has nothing to do with platelets directly. Vitamin C doesn't relate to the clotting factors.

Reactions: 1 user
@Phloston I disagree. You see in order to activate intrinsic pathway of coagulation you need subendothelial collagen exposure therefore if hydroxylation is defective at proline or lysine procollagen helix in rER then you will definitely prolong PTT. Also BT will be prolonged b/c platelets cannot adhere to collagen. @aspiringmd1015 hope this helps

@Phloston I disagree. You see in order to activate intrinsic pathway of coagulation you need subendothelial collagen exposure therefore if hydroxylation is defective at proline or lysine procollagen helix in rER then you will definitely prolong PTT. Also BT will be prolonged b/c platelets cannot adhere to collagen. @aspiringmd1015 hope this helps
aPTT is in vitro not in vivo.

Reactions: 1 user