VitalDent as early employment...

Started by pfmprep
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

pfmprep

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
This is for you New Yorkers who are new doctors (congrats!). Well, they are popping up all over the city like a nice suntan on manhattan... or a plague on our profession?!?!

There is a paycheck waiting for you there that will make your income from residency or dental school look quite skimpy. There are hours that are yours to determine if you stay strong against "the man". Locations are interchangable and definately nearby. The offices are generally clean and equipped with less than average materials and staff. "The man" is not interested in you as a doctor, but as an engine. And overall, you will gain the experiences you did not get from dental school or residency... and then some.

I worked there for 6ix months and would do it again if it were January again.

This thread is just a source of general advice to new doctors. I recommend you spend the extra effort to find the job that you really want! VitalDent isn't going anywhere. They will hire you. They will hire a recently divorced seventy year old dentist with shaky hands and a poor outlook on the past! (true story).

So what is so bad about VitalDent? Well, it isn't for those of you who aren't independant dentists. By that I mean, those of you who are still looking for a mentor. By that I mean, those of you who can't fly by the seat of your pants when random situations requring attention float in the front door.

Most of all I have one warning about accepting employment from vitaldent and this only applies to rookie dentists. A production driven practice like vitaldent does not allow you to practice being a doctor, it does allow you to practice you clinical skills as for you will produce produce produce to get paid (ie... commision only $$). The negative in this, and I've heard this from a few elders as well, is that it tends to develop a hatred for dentistry in its dentists. Most of us love dentistry. Most of us loved it most in dental school. Many of us love our profession, but vitaldent will eventually suck that from you. Working as a doctor for someone who is not a doctor is demeaning to the lifeblood of a healthcare professional. Be wary of this and when that day comes, realize it! Remember that you traveled this road to help others, not the man.

Hope this helps 🙂

dentistry will be all chains in 50 years... i think its inevitable. Much like cloned beef... its just too profitable and potentially safe.

** not spellchecked or revised **
 
pfmprep said:
dentistry will be all chains in 50 years... i think its inevitable. Much like cloned beef... its just too profitable and potentially safe.

** not spellchecked or revised **

Ouch. Sounds like NYC ghettodontics has gotten to you. Try visiting some offices outside of the 5 burroughs and you'll see it is possible to have profitable offices doing good, honest general dentistry without sucking the professional integrity out of you.

I saw VitalDent creep up around the city right before I left. Who were your patients walking in the door? Are they 1) young professional with "good" insurance plans from their first jobs or 2) wealthy, long-time residents paying out-of-pocket cash or 3) people with crappy dental insurance just looking for a provider or 4) medicaid or 5) ethnic populations or 6) some other NYC dental population that I didn't manage to encounter while working all over the city.

And how busy is the place on Saturday night, as I seem to recall the hours for Saturday being posted as 9 - 8....
 
griffin04 said:
Ouch. Sounds like NYC ghettodontics has gotten to you. Try visiting some offices outside of the 5 burroughs and you'll see it is possible to have profitable offices doing good, honest general dentistry without sucking the professional integrity out of you.

I saw VitalDent creep up around the city right before I left. Who were your patients walking in the door? Are they 1) young professional with "good" insurance plans from their first jobs or 2) wealthy, long-time residents paying out-of-pocket cash or 3) people with crappy dental insurance just looking for a provider or 4) medicaid or 5) ethnic populations or 6) some other NYC dental population that I didn't manage to encounter while working all over the city.

And how busy is the place on Saturday night, as I seem to recall the hours for Saturday being posted as 9 - 8....

What does this have anything to do with type of practice you are working at. Other reasons seem fine but this is just crazy?? Or may be it is just me.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Mustt Mustt said:
What does this have anything to do with type of practice you are working at. Other reasons seem fine but this is just crazy?? Or may be it is just me.

There are many ads for dentists in NYC that specify "Spanish/Chinese/Russian/whatever speaking preferred." Many dental offices in certain locations in NYC cater to the high ethnic populations that live in that neighborhood. This isn't necessarily good or bad, it's just the demographics of people coming in through your door.
 
griffin04 said:
There are many ads for dentists in NYC that specify "Spanish/Chinese/Russian/whatever speaking preferred." Many dental offices in certain locations in NYC cater to the high ethnic populations that live in that neighborhood. This isn't necessarily good or bad, it's just the demographics of people coming in through your door.

Oh I see. may be NY has some areas that are highly concentrated with one group and then other are concntrated with other ethnic group. I guess that makes sense.
 
Working as a doctor for someone who is not a doctor is demeaning to the lifeblood of a healthcare professional.

I thought that it is not a possibility to own a dental practice if you do have a DDS/ DMD degree. There is a clause in the dental practice ethics handbook stating that a dentist cannot be influenced in his treatment decision by anyone who is not member of the profession. ex: a office manager who limits molar endos to 10 minute procedures to drive up production. It goes hand in hand with non- malficience.
 
The bottom line is companies like this one NEED us...we do NOT need them. There are harmful to our profession and to our patients dental health. At all costs stay away from them.
 
Demeter said:
I thought that it is not a possibility to own a dental practice if you do have a DDS/ DMD degree. There is a clause in the dental practice ethics handbook stating that a dentist cannot be influenced in his treatment decision by anyone who is not member of the profession.

That's a handbook, not law. A law to that effect may very well exist, I don't know of it though.
 
The law is easily circumvented by the company hiring a dentist to own the practice. It happens all the time.
 
Demeter said:
I thought that it is not a possibility to own a dental practice if you do have a DDS/ DMD degree. There is a clause in the dental practice ethics handbook stating that a dentist cannot be influenced in his treatment decision by anyone who is not member of the profession. ex: a office manager who limits molar endos to 10 minute procedures to drive up production. It goes hand in hand with non- malficience.


VitalDent has a dentist owning them. Dr. Craig Abrhamowitz DDS. He had signed the checks but I question as to whether he really exists. Bottom line, in New York an office must be owned by a DDS/DMD. It is obviously impossible for him to be in all the 12 offices at once. In fact, I never saw him. I worked for whoever the office manager was. It changed monthly and they were not dentists. In fact they would push me or suggest that I do things that were flat out immoral unethical or worse! I agree with the guy who states they need us we don't need them. Stay away from them!!