Step I vitamin absorption location

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

ENThopeful

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
are fat soluble vitamins absorbed in the jejunum like fats are? pg 94 first aid says absorption is dependent on gut ileum, which i guess it really means bile salt circulation, as fats are absorbed in the jejunum afaik.
 
Minerals (particularly bivalent minerals like Ca or Mg) are early in the duodenum. Jejunum is where you'll see most of the water soluble vitamins absorbed (or as Goljan said it, Folate country). Ileum is where B12, ADEK, Bile Salts and Amino Acids are absorbed.
 
Minerals (particularly bivalent minerals like Ca or Mg) are early in the duodenum. Jejunum is where you'll see most of the water soluble vitamins absorbed (or as Goljan said it, Folate country). Ileum is where B12, ADEK, Bile Salts and Amino Acids are absorbed.

so fat soluble vitamins are not absorbed fats in the jejunum but in the ileum?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Lol, blame it on the AWOLness of my brain, but I have no idea what you typed there
I should have been more specific about the locations of mineral absorbtions. These are approximations (e.g. most iron absorbed in DD but some in upper JJ)

I iron absorbed DD
F folate absorbed JJ
C cobalamin absorbed Il

so get I F C in DD - JJ - IL