VMCAS 2018-2019 personal statement advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sirius24

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello! I'm a first time applicant and just starting my personal statements! I thought it might be useful to create a thread where people could ask questions and share advice about the personal statement portion of VMCAS. Let me know if a thread like this already exists or if there's a more appropriate place for these questions but I couldn't find one.

My first question is about the prompt: "In what ways do veterinarians contribute to society and what do you hope to contribute?" The first part of this prompt seems super broad... Are we supposed to just list a bunch of things vets do? Are we supposed to list the areas of vet med that interest us the most, or areas we've explored?
Also does anyone have any general tips about format or key things to include? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello! I'm a first time applicant and just starting my personal statements! I thought it might be useful to create a thread where people could ask questions and share advice about the personal statement portion of VMCAS. Let me know if a thread like this already exists or if there's a more appropriate place for these questions but I couldn't find one.

My first question is about the prompt: "In what ways do veterinarians contribute to society and what do you hope to contribute?" The first part of this prompt seems super broad... Are we supposed to just list a bunch of things vets do? Are we supposed to list the areas of vet med that interest us the most, or areas we've explored?
Also does anyone have any general tips about format or key things to include? Thanks!
So there is already a statement reader thread for this year. Connect with someone on the list and go from there! Good luck!
2023 Statement Readers