VMCAS Questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Hopeful_DVM

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I have a couple of questions about listing experiences on the VMCAS application.

1.) I helped out in a couple of my professors labs learning technical skills, and assisting with their research projects. I never helped write or publish a paper. Should I put this under research experience?

2.) I attended Farrier School. Which section should I put this under? It wasn't at a university, but was at an independent school.
 
1. That is still research experience. Just be specific in what you did.
2. I am not sure about this one

And I always have listed all my individual shadowing hours regardless of if it was 5 hours or 50 hours. 🙂

Hope this helps a little! Good luck 🙂
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I have a couple of questions about listing experiences on the VMCAS application.

1.) I helped out in a couple of my professors labs learning technical skills, and assisting with their research projects. I never helped write or publish a paper. Should I put this under research experience?

2.) I attended Farrier School. Which section should I put this under? It wasn't at a university, but was at an independent school.
1) Sounds like research experience to me

2) I would contact VMCAS to ask about that. Might be animal experience, but it would be worth it to ask.

Definitely list all your experiences, I had one that was 4 hours and listed it 🙂
 
Alright time for a new question. I will be using the explanation statement on VMCAS as I had to withdraw from a whole semester due to family issues. Does anyone know how to word this? I don't want it to sound like I am blaming my family for what happened. I just want adcoms to know that I withdrew in order to focus all my attention on family.
 
I don't think there's any consensus on how exactly explanation statements need to be done. Just write a brief explanation (not too detailed saying) saying something along the lines that you had to withdraw from the university for a semester for personal reasons or to attend to a family emergency and any follow-up to explain how this isn't indicative of your academic capabilities.
 
Has anyone noticed that the explanation statement has disappeared fairly recently? I have reached out to vmcas a few different ways and haven't gotten a response. Was really looking forward to using that.
 
Has anyone noticed that the explanation statement has disappeared fairly recently? I have reached out to vmcas a few different ways and haven't gotten a response. Was really looking forward to using that.
Apparently the Explanation Statement got moved to under Personal Information. VMCAS says that it is a glitch and is unintentional, but you should still be able to access it there.
 
Apparently the Explanation Statement got moved to under Personal Information. VMCAS says that it is a glitch and is unintentional, but you should still be able to access it there.

Hi, it's definitely there now. Thank you 🙂