VMCAS rejected transcript post deadline after accepting it HELP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Nannarnaluk

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am literally so nauseated and anxious I can't believe this happened.
August 4th VMCAS received a transcript from my junior college and accepted it. It was a mailed copy directly from the school that I ordered with my account.
I've been checking VMCAS daily, awaiting verification. Today it shows that they are waiting on the transcript they said they received and accepted on 8/4.
I immediately contacted them wondering what happened, they said during verification they realized that the school sent them the wrong transcript?! The person I spoke with told me to send the transcripts directly to the schools but then also said my applications can not be verified without it,. ....So my applications are invalid and will not be looked at, which I told them. I asked how this went unnoticed and they said they don't know and are going higher up and they want to help me. I profusely thanked this person, they were helpful and they wanted to try and fix it, but clearly had no idea what happened.

PLEASE tell me I didn't just waste $1400 and a boat load of time and energy? I'm such a wreck waiting to hear back from them. Please tell me this is recoverable?

Members don't see this ad.

• Sad
  • Care
Reactions: 1 users
Honestly, I would think it is up to VMCAS to have told you that the school sent the wrong transcript, no? How could your school have sent the wrong transcript anyways (was it sent with the wrong information to VMCAS or what)? It took me a long time (almost up until 9/15/20) for VMCAS to verify my transcripts (I had them sent in back in 05/2020) so I can understand why you waited for verification. I would keep on VMCAS and call them explaining that if during verification they received the wrong transcripts that they should have contacted you because you ordered your transcripts from your university and it's out of your hands after that point.

My main thing is how did they receive the wrong transcript? What about it was wrong?

You could send your transcripts to each individual school you applied to, but everything from what I understand MUST go through VMCAS. So, even if you did do that the schools would most likely not accept them anyways because your VMCAS has not been verified.

I am so sorry you are going through this trouble. Keep on top of VMCAS, always write down who you spoke to and what day and time.

Reactions: 1 user
Honestly, I would think it is up to VMCAS to have told you that the school sent the wrong transcript, no? How could your school have sent the wrong transcript anyways (was it sent with the wrong information to VMCAS or what)? It took me a long time (almost up until 9/15/20) for VMCAS to verify my transcripts (I had them sent in back in 05/2020) so I can understand why you waited for verification. I would keep on VMCAS and call them explaining that if during verification they received the wrong transcripts that they should have contacted you because you ordered your transcripts from your university and it's out of your hands after that point.

My main thing is how did they receive the wrong transcript? What about it was wrong?

You could send your transcripts to each individual school you applied to, but everything from what I understand MUST go through VMCAS. So, even if you did do that the schools would most likely not accept them anyways because your VMCAS has not been verified.

I am so sorry you are going through this trouble. Keep on top of VMCAS, always write down who you spoke to and what day and time.

According to my records from what VMCAS sent me and shows in my notifications, they received the transcript on 8/4 and it was added to my application that day. It was a mailed copy as my old school does not do e-transcripts. I had the registrar put the VMCAS ID paper in the envelope with the transcript as VMCAS suggests you do. According to the person I spoke with today, the transcript they received has someone else's name on it??? Of course they wouldn't or couldn't tell me what the name was on the transcript but they did say it wasn't mine. I checked my records and my receipt from the sending school had all the right info for sending the transcript: name first, middle and last, DOB, SS #, years attended, and school ID number.
I am most upset that I sent my transcripts early just in case something went wrong, and only now, two months later when nothing can be done and schools are awaiting my app, are they telling me they got the wrong thing. I am PRAYING that this was a simple clerical error that will be rectified, but I am sick over this.

ETA: I ordered an official transcript for myself at the same time I ordered the one for VMCAS and the one I received is correct and accurate.

Members don't see this ad :)
According to my records from what VMCAS sent me and shows in my notifications, they received the transcript on 8/4 and it was added to my application that day. It was a mailed copy as my old school does not do e-transcripts. I had the registrar put the VMCAS ID paper in the envelope with the transcript as VMCAS suggests you do. According to the person I spoke with today, the transcript they received has someone else's name on it??? Of course they wouldn't or couldn't tell me what the name was on the transcript but they did say it wasn't mine. I checked my records and my receipt from the sending school had all the right info for sending the transcript: name first, middle and last, DOB, SS #, years attended, and school ID number.
I am most upset that I sent my transcripts early just in case something went wrong, and only now, two months later when nothing can be done and schools are awaiting my app, are they telling me they got the wrong thing. I am PRAYING that this was a simple clerical error that will be rectified, but I am sick over this.

ETA: I ordered an official transcript for myself at the same time I ordered the one for VMCAS and the one I received is correct and accurate.
One of my schools didn't do E-Transcripts either and I did the same thing you did with the form and VMCAS ID. I continuously emailed that school to make sure they had everything in order (well, you can only do so much and make sure they send in what is needed). However, VMCAS SHOULD have to said that they were sent someone else's transcript!!!! Plus the school you ordered it from is at fault just as much! They sent the wrong person's transcript to your professional program, and then that program received an incorrect transcript and did not notify you. They should definitely make an exception for your case because you cold literally do nothing about it. How could you know it was incorrect?

I would email your school that you got the transcript from and tell them that your professional program (VMCAS) notified you that they sent someone else's transcripts and force them (your school) to send an additional copy PRIORITY MAIL (or whatever way it can get there fastest) to VMCAS. Make sure you don't pay for it either, they screwed it up, not you. Don't give up! Call VMCAS tomorrow and explain that if they received someone else's transcripts you should have been notified to rectify this situation. Do whatever you can to have them give you an extension to get another copy of your transcript to them.

I understand this is a terrible ordeal for you and I'm sincerely sorry, but keep at it and if you need to talk to someone higher up do so. Be confident when you talk to them and strict (not a Karen, but be firm because the mistake was not yours). Keep us posted, I hope things work out!

• Care
One of my schools didn't do E-Transcripts either and I did the same thing you did with the form and VMCAS ID. I continuously emailed that school to make sure they had everything in order (well, you can only do so much and make sure they send in what is needed). However, VMCAS SHOULD have to said that they were sent someone else's transcript!!!! Plus the school you ordered it from is at fault just as much! They sent the wrong person's transcript to your professional program, and then that program received an incorrect transcript and did not notify you. They should definitely make an exception for your case because you cold literally do nothing about it. How could you know it was incorrect?

I would email your school that you got the transcript from and tell them that your professional program (VMCAS) notified you that they sent someone else's transcripts and force them (your school) to send an additional copy PRIORITY MAIL (or whatever way it can get there fastest) to VMCAS. Make sure you don't pay for it either, they screwed it up, not you. Don't give up! Call VMCAS tomorrow and explain that if they received someone else's transcripts you should have been notified to rectify this situation. Do whatever you can to have them give you an extension to get another copy of your transcript to them.

I understand this is a terrible ordeal for you and I'm sincerely sorry, but keep at it and if you need to talk to someone higher up do so. Be confident when you talk to them and strict (not a Karen, but be firm because the mistake was not yours). Keep us posted, I hope things work out!

Thank you so much, I'm freaking out and hearing from other people helps. I plan on being extremely persistent and firm. I tend to be awful with confrontation as I don't like being a bother and do not want to be a Karen, but I am so upset. The person I spoke with today promised they would get back to me as soon as they heard from management. I plan to call if I haven't heard anything by late morning tomorrow. I asked if I could send a new transcript and they told me no, that it was past the deadline. I was like well...... that means my application is invalid and won't be considered, then they apologized like they didn't realize this lol. I'm scared it's going to take them a while to fix this (if they'll fix it) and by that time schools will consider my application late and not look at it.

While you wait for VMCAS to get themselves together, get your school to send the correct transcript next day carrier pigeon or however the heck they can get it there fastest.

Reactions: 3 users
Thank you so much, I'm freaking out and hearing from other people helps. I plan on being extremely persistent and firm. I tend to be awful with confrontation as I don't like being a bother and do not want to be a Karen, but I am so upset. The person I spoke with today promised they would get back to me as soon as they heard from management. I plan to call if I haven't heard anything by late morning tomorrow. I asked if I could send a new transcript and they told me no, that it was past the deadline. I was like well...... that means my application is invalid and won't be considered, then they apologized like they didn't realize this lol. I'm scared it's going to take them a while to fix this (if they'll fix it) and by that time schools will consider my application late and not look at it.

Don't worry about bothering them about this - call them every day until you have a final answer. You should push for them to accept a new transcript. If they refuse, you should push them to refund your money. This is on them, not you.

ETA: Don't be a jerk about it. Be polite, but persistent.

Reactions: 5 users
While you wait for VMCAS to get themselves together, get your school to send the correct transcript next day carrier pigeon or however the heck they can get it there fastest.
Don't worry about bothering them about this - call them every day until you have a final answer. You should push for them to accept a new transcript. If they refuse, you should push them to refund your money. This is on them, not you.

ETA: Don't be a jerk about it. Be polite, but persistent.

Thank you guys so much. I will get with my school to send them a copy tomorrow STAT even though they said they won't take it. I was wondering if I should email the schools I applied to about the situation or if they would look badly upon my reaching out?
It is extremely upsetting as well that the financial aspect was extremely difficult for me and my family and that I may have flushed a lot of money we otherwise needed. I feel like I would be off putting insisting on my money back if they won't fix it, but I also need it if they won't do anything. I really feel this is their fault and I should have been notified two months ago. I didn't even receive an email or notification that the transcript was removed/rejected, I'm glad I've been checking daily.

Absolutely email the schools you are applying to with concise details of what happened according to VMCAS (it very well could be that VMCAS made the error and your school did in fact send the correct transcript) and what you're doing to fix this situation.

Reactions: 3 users
Some schools will consider your application even if you haven't been verified.

I would contact them all and explain the situation, including that you are currently tring to resolve it with VMCAS, but also ask if they will still consider your app if it never gets verified. Offer to send a transcript directly to them if they will accept it.

Reactions: 2 users
Thank you guys so much. I will get with my school to send them a copy tomorrow STAT even though they said they won't take it. I was wondering if I should email the schools I applied to about the situation or if they would look badly upon my reaching out?
It is extremely upsetting as well that the financial aspect was extremely difficult for me and my family and that I may have flushed a lot of money we otherwise needed. I feel like I would be off putting insisting on my money back if they won't fix it, but I also need it if they won't do anything. I really feel this is their fault and I should have been notified two months ago. I didn't even receive an email or notification that the transcript was removed/rejected, I'm glad I've been checking daily.
If you’re like me, you hate confrontation and the thought of hurting anyone’s feeling or ruffling feathers. I get it!

But this is a large sum of money provided to VMCAS to perform a very important service. They not only didn’t perform the service accurately, they didn’t even notify you that there was a problem directly. You did all of the things required of you - and you did them with more than enough time to allow for any goofs - and they still messed up.

Absolutely remain professional, but don’t let them blow you off here. You are 10000% entitled to their full attention to this matter.

Reactions: 8 users
If they won't accept a new transcript and won't refund you. Get a lawyer to write up a letter and send it certified to them requesting a full refund for their lack of service and if they refuse, take them to small claims court. They are a business providing a service, if the service is not provided, they are required to give a refund. Period. You could try contesting with your bank first if they won't refund, but the timeframe may prove to be against you when contesting with your bank.

• Love
Reactions: 12 users
Thank you all so very much, you have really helped me find a calmer state of mind to handle the situation. I will begin emailing the schools immediately.

Some good, but also frustrating news.
VMCAS got with me this morning and is very (very) willing to help me out. They said if I could have the transcript emailed from my junior college they would accept it and have my application verified ASAP. I have a PDF scan of an official transcript that was issued to me, as such it has issued to student stamped on it. I went ahead and sent them that in hopes it would be enough while I contacted my college's registrar. Originally they said they would take it, but then backtracked and said it needs to come from the school.
First new problem: The school flat out refused to email the transcript. Said they never do that, ever. So I let VMCAS know and they said well can they fax it? I asked the school and they said absolutely not. So I begin planning to make the 5-6 hour drive back home to pick up an official transcript and overnight it to VMCAS before the school closes. As I am getting ready I ask my mom to please go to the school and talk with a person and see if they will release an official transcript to her. She gets to the school and they say they will, but they will still put issued to student on it...... I have never had this problem. I assume she got pretty stern because they got her with the head of the department who then agreed to email the transcript to VMCAS HOORAY.

New problem: They're dragging their feet and I was trying to get this fixed TODAY. I was told they'd email it within the hour but its been a few hours now and nothing has been done, have followed up once, but no response . I've made VMCAS aware and we're now just waiting on the email.

Is it so late that even if they do manage to verify my app within the next day or two that schools won't look at it?

Reactions: 1 users
Sorry for the double post, second update.

The school just informed me they have emailed VMCAS my transcript, praise the Lord. Just waiting to hear back from my contact with VMCAS.

• Care
They had better fix this for you. The school, if they did indeed send the wrong one somehow (thank goodness for moms!) and VMCAS for not letting you know it was wrong two damn months ago. No question.

Reactions: 4 users
Update:

VMCAS has accepted an emailed copy of the transcript as of yesterday afternoon. I'm waiting on them to post the transcript and verify my application, but so far nothing has happened. I'm so nervous.

Update:

My transcript has now posted back to my application, just waiting for verification now. Thank you everyone for your support <3

• Love
Reactions: 20 users
Last update:
My application was verified today, thank you everyone!

• Love
Reactions: 14 users
Last update:
Thank goodness, I've been watching this thread and was going to be SO MAD if this wasn't resolved for you!

• Care
Reactions: 2 users
Last update:
I've been gone for awhile, but kept thinking about how things were going! I am so glad you got it solved HURRAY!!!!! Now you can rest a little easer at night I hope! :):):):):)

• Care