VMR vs. MSU (OOS Both)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

naivevetstudent

C/O 2027
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I’ve been accepted as an OOS student to VMRCVM, and I did an interview for MSU but as I’m sure many know they have not sent out results for OOS yet.

TLDR; Not a huge financial difference, worried more about distance from hometown, fears of isolation in a smaller town, wondering if these factors have affected others in certain ways. VMR program curriculum interests me more.

Based on the most recent available finance information from the two schools, it seems there would only be a roughly 10-13k difference in cost of attendance, though living expenses in East Lansing, MI are cheaper.

I like the things I have heard about VMR’s curriculum, but my main concerns are the small town (as I’m worried it might contribute to feelings of isolation), as well as the difficulty in travel to visit my rural hometown since flights are expensive and I’d have to make at least an hour drive to get to the nearest airport.

I do not want to wait until the last moment to make up my mind so I am asking here for any help! Since costs are so similar according to both schools FinAid office estimates, I would like to know if the environment might not matter too much? Michigan is much farther from my hometown and family is very important to me so that’s another thing I’m considering. (Trust me I wish I got into my IS. )

If there’s maybe things I am not thinking about in regards to each state & program please let me know!

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

So, I know this isn't exactly what you are asking, but regarding the feeling isolated thing: I think it's really easy to find a good community in Michigan. People are really really nice, and people are a lot more social and interested in making new connections there than every other place I've lived. I haven't lived there in years and have lived all over the country and honestly I still sometimes get confused about why people aren't as nice everywhere else as they "should" be haha. Like, I'd be willing to wager that if you were to say, stay in Michigan for thanksgiving, there would be at least one person willing to have you to their families house for the holiday, or if you had car troubles, you'd have someone offer to drive you to class without even asking. I always tell people "the only people as nice as Michiganders are Wisconsinites are Canadians."