Vmrcm c/o 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey guys! Who is going on the 11am tour for prospective students tomorrow?! And does anyone know when/where the Alpha Psi social is going to be tonight? I ran into them at their last bar night at Hokie House and I was wondering if the prospective student social was going to be there too. I'd love to meet more of you all.

I can't go to the info sessions or the lunch this afternoon because of my research commitment but if someone could post about what is going on tonight I'd love to meet up with you all.

I hope you're as excited as I am, and for those of you coming into town welcome to Blacksburg!!! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys! Who is going on the 11am tour for prospective students tomorrow?! And does anyone know when/where the Alpha Psi social is going to be tonight? I ran into them at their last bar night at Hokie House and I was wondering if the prospective student social was going to be there too. I'd love to meet more of you all.

I can't go to the info sessions or the lunch this afternoon because of my research commitment but if someone could post about what is going on tonight I'd love to meet up with you all.

I hope you're as excited as I am, and for those of you coming into town welcome to Blacksburg!!! :)

I got an email about this two days ago:

Alpha Psi and OTS would like to invite whoever is free on Friday
evening to join us downtown at Champs at 7pm to meet some of the new
students who are visiting for prospective students weekend.

How do people plan to take notes? On computer or on paper. I am having a conundrum....because people are saying the desks are small...What did yall think of the class you sat in on? Did people take notes on computer or on paper? How comfortable were the seats and the desks?

Members don't see this ad :)
How do people plan to take notes? On computer or on paper. I am having a conundrum....because people are saying the desks are small...What did yall think of the class you sat in on? Did people take notes on computer or on paper? How comfortable were the seats and the desks?

The desks aren't huge, but a laptop will fit on it fine. My first year was the first year that the 1st-year classroom had the new desks. It's an adjustment, but they're pretty comfy. I wish they kept the bench desks, but all of them will be gone by next fall, even in the 2nd and 3rd year rooms.

Notes vary per class. If you order class notes, then you'll mostly write directly on those. Most professors also post their powerpoints or pdfs that you can take notes on digitally or print out. For some classes the printed notes are great, and for others it's better to rely on the powerpoints. You'll get the hang of it by the end of the first month in classes.

Sadly there will be no Blacksburg for me. Gotta give up my spot as i got into my in state. Would have loved that mountain living!

Sadly there will be no Blacksburg for me. Gotta give up my spot as i got into my in state. Would have loved that mountain living!

Congrats on that, though! I was at Davis for the previous year's SAVMA symposium and I thought the school and area were lovely.

I still don't have access to The Exchange... Also, haven't had an email confirming that they got my deposit even though I've seen the check clear through my bank account. Anyone in a similar situation/ know who I should contact?

I still don't have access to The Exchange... Also, haven't had an email confirming that they got my deposit even though I've seen the check clear through my bank account. Anyone in a similar situation/ know who I should contact?

Not in the same position, but Joyce handles all of this and is incredibly easy/willing to get in touch with. Just drop her an e-mail or give her a ring; her contact info can be found here: http://www.vetmed.vt.edu/acad/dvm/admiss_contact.asp .

Also check your junk mail and make sure it isn't being filtered out.

Hi guys! I'm kinda of new to this forum and if this has already been discussed then I'm sorry. But is there a facebook page for VMRCVM Class of 2016? If so, can someone please send me the link! Thank so much! :)

The same thing happened to me. I emailed Joyce ([email protected]) and she forwarded me the email they think that they sent me last week, but that I never got. I checked my spam and it's not in there either. So they must be having email issues- but no worries, I got the forwarded confirmation and set up my PID today:)
Still no access to the Exchange...will work on that tomorrow if nothing comes via email or Scholar today.

The same thing happened to me. I emailed Joyce ([email protected]) and she forwarded me the email they think that they sent me last week, but that I never got. I checked my spam and it's not in there either. So they must be having email issues- but no worries, I got the forwarded confirmation and set up my PID today:)
Still no access to the Exchange...will work on that tomorrow if nothing comes via email or Scholar today.

I'll try emailing Joyce too, thanks! Also, let me know what you find out about the Exchange!

Hey guys. Any wait-listers on here? Or anyone who has heard from wait list already? I'm trying to figure out my chances with being 11th on the maryland wait list. Or how the three different lists work.

B

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys. Any wait-listers on here? Or anyone who has heard from wait list already? I'm trying to figure out my chances with being 11th on the maryland wait list. Or how the three different lists work.

B

I believe zoovet made it off one of the waitlists... should be on page 12 of this thread if you want to ask. Sorry I don't have any more info for ya, but I'm sure zoovet would be happy to share!

Hey,
I was first on the Maryland wait list, but I heard last Monday, March 26th, so I don't think I can help much? Sorry/good luck!

I emailed with Joyce today and she said they currently have received 15 deposits but can't say on where they are on calling the Maryland wait-list people. sooo I have my fingers crossed that hopefully the 11th spot gets called :)

I'm 13th on the VA IS waitlist, so I've kinda lost hope for this year... :( but I'm open to surprises! Ms. Massie said 28 people have put down a deposit.

At the interviews someone told me they don't separate the wait lists by IS OOS, it's just one big list. I don't know how true it is, but either way I'm 9th on the waitlist and OOS.

Wow last year they wouldnt tell me where I was on the waitlist. Did they change their policy?

Last year they had separate wait lists for IS maryland, IS virginia, and OOS. I know they have changed the policy on telling wait-listers their rank this year, but I'm not sure whether they changed their whole wait list scheme. I would imagine it's still 3 separate wait lists, but I'm sure Joyce can tell you for sure.

Wow last year they wouldnt tell me where I was on the waitlist. Did they change their policy?

Starting yesterday you were allowed to call the office and request your position. And I just e-mailed joyce to ask if they still have 3 separate lists. I've already seen two OOS decline their offer so I guess now I'm 7! Hopefully more OOS decline:xf:

Yup. Dr. Pelzer mentioned this to my interview group. =)

Last year they had separate wait lists for IS maryland, IS virginia, and OOS. I know they have changed the policy on telling wait-listers their rank this year, but I'm not sure whether they changed their whole wait list scheme. I would imagine it's still 3 separate wait lists, but I'm sure Joyce can tell you for sure.

I know for sure that WV has its own IS waitlist, so I would imagine there's also a VA IS, MD IS, and OOS. This is the way they've done it since I started my undergrad here, I don't think they'd change it.

I have access to the Exchange, finally! Now to figure out when I am going to have time to go look at apartments/houses...

Does the housing market go pretty fast? I know at my undergrad, a lot of people had housing for the next year figured out by Christmas the year prior.

So Joyce confirmed it, there's a VA, MD and OOS alternate list. Imma find the person who told me other wise and yell at them for getting my hopes up :(

I will probably be denying my OOS offer soon. I'm pretty heartbroken about it, but it's the right decision. Good luck to everyone and enjoy being a Hokie!

I will probably be denying my OOS offer soon. I'm pretty heartbroken about it, but it's the right decision. Good luck to everyone and enjoy being a Hokie!

You should check your ranking first, you might be close!

Sorry, I didn't elaborate....I got in, but I'm going to deny my spot.

catlady816: i figured i would respond on this thread and she said im #14 on the waitlist...it seems like most people on here are 7-14...i wonder if that's a fluke? do you have any idea how long the waitlist actually is?

catlady816: i figured i would respond on this thread and she said im #14 on the waitlist...it seems like most people on here are 7-14...i wonder if that's a fluke? do you have any idea how long the waitlist actually is?

If I recall correctly, they interviewed 74 VA students for, I believe it was 50 seats, so the waitlist started at around 24 people and has probably dropped a few since then.

Just estimates though!

any idea for oos? i forgot to specify im oos

If I recall correctly, they interviewed 74 VA students for, I believe it was 50 seats, so the waitlist started at around 24 people and has probably dropped a few since then.

Just estimates though!

I have a feeling the OOS list will move faster than the IS one so keep your fingers crossed!

I was IS waitlist last year...and I never got in.

Probably very similar for OOS. There were 40 available seats.
For all of you waiting out there- I hope that waitlist starts to move!

I think they interview many more OOSers than ISers relative to the number of seats, precisely because -

I have a feeling the OOS list will move faster than the IS one so keep your fingers crossed!

- that. =) So the OOS list is bigger but it gets churned through much faster.

Has anyone on the wait list been accepted yet? I'm number 2 on OSS and wondering if that's number 2 out of the whole OSS wait list or if some people have been called already... If that makes sense. Anyway good luck to everyone I'm really hoping I can become a hokie later this year!!

Last edited:
I was IS waitlist last year...and I never got in.

Glad you got in this year though! Did you do anything differently during the interviews? Was there anything they told you extremely helpful in the file review? I'm afraid I'll do the review and they won't give me too much solid things to improve on..

Glad you got in this year though! Did you do anything differently during the interviews? Was there anything they told you extremely helpful in the file review? I'm afraid I'll do the review and they won't give me too much solid things to improve on..

When I talked to Joyce all she could tell me was get more Vet Experience and I was very nervous during the interview process, so my interest in becoming a vet was not very clear. Those two things were easy enough to improve on for me.
Well when I applied I didn't have as much Vet experience, so I needed more of that so I volunteered as a Vet Tech, and shadowed the Zoo Vet and got over 150 hours. This time around I wasn't as nervous during the interview process, and the questions were a lot more fun for me to answer this time around. Different types of Vet experience helps and different types of animal experience. What helped me a lot in the first place was all of my genetics research experience (6 years worth and 3 different projects). During this interview process I smiled more and just felt a lot more confident. The second time is always a lot easier.

Has anyone on the wait list been accepted yet? I'm number 2 on OSS and wondering if that's number 2 out of the whole OSS wait list or if some people have been called already... If that makes sense. Anyway good luck to everyone I'm really hoping I can become a hokie later this year!!

It probably depends on when you called.

This question is for my future classmates that already go go VA Tech (and is kinda random): What cell phone company do you have? It is time for my cell phone renew contract, but my company is T mobile and the coverage map is not great for the area. Plus I'm about to sign a lease for a place outside of Blacksburg and I'm concerned that I won't get calls at my house. Any feedback would be useful. Thanks.

Has anyone else had difficulty finding a provider to administer the rabies vaccine? I eventually had to go through my county health department to get information!

Has anyone else had difficulty finding a provider to administer the rabies vaccine? I eventually had to go through my county health department to get information!

what state? and how much are they charging you?
in maryland, the dept. of HHS said it would be ~220 a shot.
i'm still trying to decide where/how much i am willing to pay.
does anyone know if that.. uhh AVMA GHLIT (?) insurance covers it?
or, does anyone remember how much the school itself charged last year for the series?

also, can someone please tell me the pros/cons of the VA Tech insurance vs. the AVMA insurance?
thanks!

also, does it bother anyone else that the school name is misspelled in the thread name?
is there any way to change it to the correct spelling?

also, does it bother anyone else that the school name is misspelled in the thread name?
is there any way to change it to the correct spelling?

It definitely annoys me now! I never noticed and I'm the one at fault! I'm trying to figure out how to change it, but I'm not sure what to do. :oops:

This question is for my future classmates that already go go VA Tech (and is kinda random): What cell phone company do you have? It is time for my cell phone renew contract, but my company is T mobile and the coverage map is not great for the area. Plus I'm about to sign a lease for a place outside of Blacksburg and I'm concerned that I won't get calls at my house. Any feedback would be useful. Thanks.

Hey! I'm a current VT student soon-to-be vet student next year, and I definitely think the best service company for the area is Verizon. I came to VT with AT&T and I didn't get service in the majority of academic buildings on campus. =/ But then my family switched to Verizon and I haven't been in a place yet down here that I don't have service.

You might be able to get calls with AT&T if you have a strong preference, but I'd definitely recommend Verizon for overall service. Hope that helps!

Congrats to everyone accepted and attending VMRCVM this fall! :clap:

As a hopeful this next round, this is a plea for everyone to be sure to post their stats in the Successful Applicants thread. Pretty please! :D

And I'll second the Verizon service. I haven't found a bad spot on campus or around the area.

Congrats to everyone accepted and attending VMRCVM this fall! :clap:

As a hopeful this next round, this is a plea for everyone to be sure to post their stats in the Successful Applicants thread. Pretty please! :D

And I'll second the Verizon service. I haven't found a bad spot on campus or around the area.

As another 2017 hopeful, I would also appreciate viewing everyone's stats. :)

I'm also a Verizon customer and attended the open house this year. I was in/around Blacksburg all weekend and not once did I ever lose service. Only one area of the mountains did I lose my 3G, but I still had phone. Hope that helps!

Thanks for the cell phone info. Verizon it will be I think.
Also, I posted my humble stats on the accepted students stats thread. Enjoy (and try not to be too surprised;)) Hope they help any super non traditional applicants, or anyone really, to see that dreams do come true. Even incredibly far fetched ones....

I go to VT and also have Verizon. I have service everywhere on campus and surrounding areas (including usually 1 or 2 bars in the first year classrom in the "dungeon"! which is unheard of with other providers)

Also, from what I can tell $220 to $240 seems to be a pretty common price for rabies vax from either the health dept. or Schiffert Health Center on campus.

does anyone know when we should expect our financial aid award letters/email?