vocab section aarrgghh!!

Started by stunna
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

stunna

Junior Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Im having the toughest time on the the vocab section of the Pcat. How can one possibly have that extensive of a vocabulary? Alot of times, i can't even figure out what the answer choices mean. To improve, ive been reading magazines, newspapers, even going through vocab lists. For those that have done well on this section, do u have any methods or tips that you could share? thanks
 
Seriously, does one need to know those PCAT words in able to be a pharmacist? I mean, if I use those words to talk with my patients, I'm not sure that they will understand me.
 
I thought that was the easiest section. I got a lot of my vocabulary from crossword puzzles. My parents would buy me a crossword book when I was home sick from school. We'd also solve the Sunday crosswords together. I really got to know a lot of words from this.

Also, try playing word games like Taboo. I go to a "games night" in Tampa twice a month. It's fun and you learn lots of synonyms for every day words.

Reading books is a good vocabulary builder. I've read books all my life. I prefer reading to television or movies. You should try books instead of magazines. You can finish a book in a day or two. Libraries are free, too. If you haven't read before, start with something interesting like a medical thriller. Check out a Robin Cook novel. The medical angle will hold your interest.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Books and crosswords are good for future, long-term memory and understanding of words. If you're in need of knowing a lot of words fast, your best bet is "memorizing" the GRE top 200 words word list.
 
The words on the PCAT were way easier than those on either the SAT or the GRE. They are less literature based and more likely to be used in the modern vocabulary.

I would advise learning the roots of Greek and Latin based words so you can guess at meanings without having seen the words before.
 
AmandaRxs said:
Books and crosswords are good for future, long-term memory and understanding of words. If you're in need of knowing a lot of words fast, your best bet is "memorizing" the GRE top 200 words word list.


Hi!
AmandaRxs,

Do you mean by saying "memorizing" the GRE top 200 words word list is the best thing to do well in PCAT verbal section? Is that mean if I study all that 200 words form GRE I will be in the 80-90 percentile for the verbal section? All the words on PCAT are from the GRE?

Thanx!
 
npp71681 said:
Hi!
AmandaRxs,

Do you mean by saying "memorizing" the GRE top 200 words word list is the best thing to do well in PCAT verbal section? Is that mean if I study all that 200 words form GRE I will be in the 80-90 percentile for the verbal section? All the words on PCAT are from the GRE?

Thanx!

I'm saying...if you don't have time to accumulate a large vocabulary by reading good books, then you're best bet to become familiar with some PCAT words is to memorize the GRE words. The PCAT verbal is much easier than the GRE verbal, but it's a good practice. I wouldn't say that I have an enormous vocabularly but I learned the GRE top 200 and I got a 99%ile on the verbal section of the PCAT.
A lot of the words aren't necessarily "high level" words. Besides having a good understanding of English vocabulary, the verbal section is also trying to test your reasoning skills.