Vocal fremitus

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bonovox

Coexist, or else...
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Why is fremitus increased over areas of consolidation in the lung parenchyma, but decreased with pleural effusion?

I would imagine that since sound conducts better in liquids and solids, we should see increased fremitus in both cases.

Also, what happens to fremitus in cavitation?

Thanks.

--Vinoy

Members don't see this ad.

Just my general thoughts, but fremitus in consolidation is increased because the airspaces have enlarged and there is less boundaries for the sound to get through.

With pleural effusion, it would seem likely since sounds carry better in water. But an example would be trying to hear someone yell underwater while you are standing outside. The sound is dulled because the vibrations have to get through a heavier medium before it reaches the air.

I don't know if fremitus changes in cavitation though it might depend on what kind you have. If they have already ruptured and show air-fluid levels on cxr then this would be the equivalent to effusion i guess... (although I don't know why you would use this as your only diagnostic tool)

Any physicists in the crowd that can explain it better than me?