Volume flow rate question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lindsey Freeman

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
"Increasing the cross sectional radius of a pipe would have what effect?"
Answer: Flow speed would decrease

Following f=A*v, this answer makes sense to me only if we are assuming that f stays constant. Why do we assume this? In other words, why isn't the answer "volume flow rate would increase"?

Thanks for any help, guys. T-minus 11 days til my test!

Members don't see this ad.

f is volume flow rate and I would think that the volume of fluid going into a hose goes back out the hose; i.e. the hose isn't a black hole.

In an open pipe system, we assume flow rate is constant. However, the flow velocity will change. Therefore, via the equation A1v1=A2v2, we see that increasing the cross sectional area will decrease the flow velocity.

In an open pipe system, we assume flow rate is constant. However, the flow velocity will change. Therefore, via the equation A1v1=A2v2, we see that increasing the cross sectional area will decrease the flow velocity.

Volume flow rate is constant. Careful with the wording there. People mistake rate for velocity (a specific rate).

Reactions: 1 user
Got it - I think I was just confused about this because it is not so in blood vessels, but I'm realizing how this is very different than a pipe open on both ends in a physics problem. Thanks everyone!