Volume

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

docmike1983

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can residents list their institutions volume numbers. I am particularly interested in the East Coast programs. Also, what are the optimal numbers (not too high but too low)? Thank You.

Members don't see this ad.

I hear 20,000 is good cutoff. Also, you should take into account the number of residents per program as well.

I think those numbers are generally not useful or particularly relevant to your choice, beyond some minimal cut-off. What you want is to be reasonably busy with good variety and minimal scutwork. Some programs will list a number like 80K, but half those are SKs and BCCs. Other programs might see 25K surgicals, but very few brain tumors, bone tumors, etc. Pick a well known academic institution with well-regarded surgical services and you will be fine.

Can residents list their institutions volume numbers. I am particularly interested in the East Coast programs. Also, what are the optimal numbers (not too high but too low)? Thank You.

You should look at the Freida site or use the search function. All of that material is online.