Volunteer experience

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ketchuphaseyo

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I signed on to volunteer at a chiropractic center, and was wondering if those hours would count toward clinical experience - alternatively, would volunteering at an animal hospital be acceptable?

Members don't see this ad.

torshi

Squirrel
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I signed on to volunteer at a chiropractic center, and was wondering if those hours would count toward clinical experience - alternatively, would volunteering at an animal hospital be acceptable?

it's acceptable as an EC etc not clinical experience. your applying to med school not vet or chiropractic school

Members don't see this ad :)

GlimmerGlass

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Volunteering at an animal hospital is a good way to show you are well-rounded and have other interests and so I say do it!

Volunteering at the chiropractic center...does that mean you are shadowing the doctor? If so I would consider this clinical experience since you are watching a doctor go through their daily appointments and watching how they interact with patients and learning what it will be like to run a private medical practice. Just make sure to also shadow some other physicians and if possible volunteer in a hospital. I emphasize shadowing physicians over volunteering in a hospital if you can only do one since in all my interviews the interviewers always talked about my shadowing experiences and never once brought up my hospital volunteer experience.

As long as you can articulate what you learned from your chiropractor experience (i.e. interacting with patients, how a practice is run, etc) then it will have been a good experience.

Drrrrrr. Celty

Osteo Dullahan
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
It's clinical experience, you're intereracting with people who come in for medical procedures. But you should go get more clinical experience irrgardless.

DrWily

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Regardless

Grammer_gestapo_RE_PwnzElite_has_declared_war_on_Grammar_Nazis-s400x288-173702.jpg

cabinbuilder

Urgent Care Physician
15+ Year Member
Reaction score

Chiropractor is ok if you are planning on going to DO school since many of the manipulation techniques are the same.