volunteer/extracurricular activities???

Started by DAKAZA
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

DAKAZA

Full Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello, I'm a 27 year old male nurse and I want to apply to med school in a year or so. I'm doing science pre-reqs so I can take the MCAT after completing my BSN. I've been a nurse for 6 years. I have 5 years psych experience and 1 year of ER experience. I'm working full time and taking classes full time. Do you think my clinical experience will waive the extracurricular/volunteer activities they generally look for? I'm not really involved in any organizations or anything and I feel like I'm way too busy to do anything else at this point just to fluff my application.
 
From my perspective, your nursing experience is about 80% of what you need for a nice tasty EC profile. The missing 20% is a demonstration of leadership, scholarship, independence, and/or heavy science. If your numbers and the rest of your app are stellar, then maybe you don't need to fill out that 20%.

Best of luck to you.
 
Thanks for the reply. As far as leadership....I've been the full time charge nurse on my unit for about 4 years now. I'm responsible for everything that happens on my shift. I feel I do a good job and function in a clinical leadership role everyday. Hopefully that's worth something.
 
I have been browsing this section for a few days and have wondered about the same thing! I work 60 hours a week and go FT to school. My wife stays home with our two girls. I want to do the Extra/volunteering but seems like time is not working for me but the other way around. I have shadowed podiatrist, orthos, fam. practioners and chiros but I can't keep the pace up from here on out. Will they look at 50 hours of shadow and no extracurrculors aas a poor effort?

As for DAKAZA I asked about the RN thing on another forum and they raved on it and said it would be a positive-you have actual medical experience, you'll have a degree and as long as you get the science gpa you should roll. only question would be "so did you want to be a nurse or a doctor?" and then some odd question from some gungho med student. best of luck.