volunteer hours

Started by Myotis
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Myotis

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey guys, I just heard a rumor that I found hard to believe, thought I'd check here to see if anyone else has heard about this and could clarify if it's true or not.

I was recently told that vet schools are no longer counting volunteer hours for animal and vet experience hours. This seems crazy to me. Has anyone else heard anything about this?
 
I didn't think it was true. I'm wondering if the person just got confused. From what I've been told, you can't double count volunteer experience with animals as extra curricular/community service work (correct?). Maybe she just got that confused with not being able to use volunteer work with animals as animal/veterinary experience
 
I didn't think it was true. I'm wondering if the person just got confused. From what I've been told, you can't double count volunteer experience with animals as extra curricular/community service work (correct?). Maybe she just got that confused with not being able to use volunteer work with animals as animal/veterinary experience

Yeah, you can't usually double it. Definitely doesn't make sense for volunteer hours not to count, that's how pretty much everyone has to get started.
 
Just wanted to make a note that I did almost all of my volunteer work through my university as an internship. I didn't get any credit, but at least it went on my transcript and made it seem a little more legit.