Volunteer/Intern question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lljayx37

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey I kind of have a situation and wanted some opinions on how I should proceed. I am going to start my p1 in school and based on my states law I can obtain my intern license after p1. This summer I was going to volunteer at a hospital however the process was quite long so I am now going to start volunteering in december over my winter break and other random days i have off. I just finished speaking with the volunteer director and was told that the pharmacy director would like to speak to me about the volunteering position (i'm going to call today or tomorrow). I would really like to intern at the hospital in the summer of '12 so do you guys think that I tell the director on the phone that I want to volunteer until next summer and then would like to be an intern if possible, or should I not mention anything about interning until the summer? Or should I forget volunteering completely and hope to intern at a retail chain? Sorry for the long post loll :)

Members don't see this ad.

Y'know what I would do? I would spin it as you want to get trained and work your way up to an intern position, and by the way, you're a P1 so you will get your license in Summer 2012. Try to align what you're saying with the director's goals too - he doesn't want to pay a trainee an intern's wage (assuming you're looking for paid position), and he doesn't want to waste resources to train someone unreliable. If you can communicate to the director that you are interested in the long haul (interning for P2+) and willing to volunteer while being trained to get your foot in the door, I think s/he'll hear you.

(This advice brought to you by no actual pharmacy school / job experience (I'm an applicant now) - just real world experience. Tastes great, less filling!)