Volunteer Interview this Wednesday... what to expect?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

initialize

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a group interview in a couple of days at a children's hospital. The lady I talked to over the phone said there'll be 6 people there along with me (applicants).

What should I expect?

I was reading a similar thread, and someone said NOT to mention that you're volunteering in order to get into med school.... is this true? What should I say I'm volunteering for then?

Members don't see this ad.

Don't lie. They know you're doing it for either medical school or some other professional school. It will probably be very relaxed, just to make sure you aren't a complete sociopath.

Reactions: 2 users
Just get on your knees and beg to give free labor. Such is the life of a premed

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
You could just explain you're considering a career in the health sciences when you grow up and you're trying to get as much exposure to the different settings

My "interview" was just the interviewer explaining the process of getting all the required paperwork and TB test. Then I took a tour through the hospital.

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using SDN mobile

Say that you wanted to give back to the community/society, and being interested in health you decided a children's hospital was a great way to channel this passion.

Reactions: 1 users
There are cheesy ways to do this, in which case anyone can tell you're lying, and there are acceptable ways to do this. A cheesy way is to say you want to help people get better and do your civic duty. Anybody can tell that you're doing this because you want to get into med school. Volunteers aren't allowed to do that much. At best, you get patients food and drinks. You might also be the guy who cleans the beds and wheels them around to the rooms. Or you might be that guy who sits at the nurses' station and gets one of them when a patient bell rings. These are realities.

So what's an acceptable way to do this? Well, you need to be realistic with yourself. Why are you doing this? Probably to get into med school but look past that. What purpose does this serve? Well, you might want to be in a healthcare setting and see the day-to-day operation of a health care facility (and be involved in it to a small extent). You're doing this because you're considering a healthcare career and want to experience working in a healthcare setting to see what it's like. That's a realistic answer.

Whether you're interviewing for a job or for a volunteer position, hiring managers hire people they like. That's human nature. There's nothing fair about it in that your stats don't matter if people don't like you. And the number one thing on the path to getting people to like you is to not BS them. If I was interviewing someone for an undergrad lab position (I use this example only because I have done it before), I immediately am put on guard if the person says they want to do research so that basically they can help save the world. That's not realistic. Be realistic. You're doing this because you want to see what it's like being in a healthcare setting because you're seriously considering a future in the health professions.

Reactions: 1 users
It's an interview for free labor. I wouldn't stress it. Just be nice and personable. The interview is probably just to screen out weird or rude people. I wouldn't go out of my way to say that I am doing the volunteer work for med school, but if asked, it's fine to be honest and say you are planning on going to med school in the future.

There are cheesy ways to do this, in which case anyone can tell you're lying, and there are acceptable ways to do this. A cheesy way is to say you want to help people get better and do your civic duty. Anybody can tell that you're doing this because you want to get into med school. Volunteers aren't allowed to do that much. At best, you get patients food and drinks. You might also be the guy who cleans the beds and wheels them around to the rooms. Or you might be that guy who sits at the nurses' station and gets one of them when a patient bell rings. These are realities.

So what's an acceptable way to do this? Well, you need to be realistic with yourself. Why are you doing this? Probably to get into med school but look past that. What purpose does this serve? Well, you might want to be in a healthcare setting and see the day-to-day operation of a health care facility (and be involved in it to a small extent). You're doing this because you're considering a healthcare career and want to experience working in a healthcare setting to see what it's like. That's a realistic answer.

Whether you're interviewing for a job or for a volunteer position, hiring managers hire people they like. That's human nature. There's nothing fair about it in that your stats don't matter if people don't like you. And the number one thing on the path to getting people to like you is to not BS them. If I was interviewing someone for an undergrad lab position (I use this example only because I have done it before), I immediately am put on guard if the person says they want to do research so that basically they can help save the world. That's not realistic. Be realistic. You're doing this because you want to see what it's like being in a healthcare setting because you're seriously considering a future in the health professions.
Just a friendly piece of constructive criticism since I generally like you and your ideas: you could stand to write quite a bit more concisely.

Also, your list of the "best" possible volunteer roles isn't accurate. My children's hospital volunteering experience consisted of 100% direct patient contact (e.g. playing games with kids, talking with them about their challenging situations, holding babies, tutoring some patients, etc.).

Reactions: 3 users
Just a friendly piece of constructive criticism since I generally like you and your ideas: you could stand to write quite a bit more concisely.

Also, your list of the "best" possible volunteer roles isn't accurate. My children's hospital volunteering experience consisted of 100% direct patient contact (e.g. playing games with kids, talking with them about their challenging situations, holding babies, tutoring some patients, etc.).

I like to write to get my point across. If you don't want to read it, don't read it. I'm not trying to be rude - it's just a simple fact.

What "best" is will vary from person to person because some people may enjoy doing reception-type duties while others may love talking to children. But the point is that saying you want to "help people" is a cheesy way to go about it because you're not going to be able to do much unless you are a health professional. Don't get me wrong - talking to patients is doing a lot for many patients but medically-speaking, you won't be able to do much.

A cheesy way is to say you want to help people get better and do your civic duty. Anybody can tell that you're doing this because you want to get into med school.

I really can't see someone being so cynical they reject a volunteer applicant because they say they want to help people. It's not the interviewers place to detect "lies", it's a volunteer position not a job at the pentagon.

Reactions: 3 users
I like to write to get my point across. If you don't want to read it, don't read it. I'm not trying to be rude - it's just a simple fact.
I'm just saying you'd generally be more helpful and persuasive if you wrote more clearly and without the fluff. Didn't say I don't want to read it; if fact, that's the opposite of what I was getting at - I really like reading your ideas, but sometimes the elaboration is overkill.

What "best" is will vary from person to person because some people may enjoy doing reception-type duties while others may love talking to children. But the point is that saying you want to "help people" is a cheesy way to go about it because you're not going to be able to do much unless you are a health professional. Don't get me wrong - talking to patients is doing a lot for many patients but medically-speaking, you won't be able to do much.
I doubt many pre-meds prefer reception-type duties to direct patient interaction. And the latter is certainly favored by adcoms.

Members don't see this ad :)

Where did you volunteer? Sounds like a crappy place.
Anyways; I never volunteered in a children's hospital but I did volunteer in a critical care facility and a lot of what I did wasn't scut work but interacting with patients.
I would be willing to bet that many Children's hospitals are looking for people to volunteer with Children and help them out.
Of course there may be some menial tasks they have you do, but so what?
Taking on volunteers is a large liability and I personally am grateful that there are places willing to take a risk with some teenaged college kid with not much life experience.

Further; It is perfectly reasonable to say you want to volunteer to help people. Depending on your position your job could bring comfort to patients.

In my position I played games with patients, talked with them, etc..

As someone who has been a patient himself,nothing makes ones day brighter than having someone to just sit there and play a game of checkers.

Does it amount to much? Probably not, but just making someone smile makes me feel like I made a difference no matter how miniscule it may be.

Oh,and finally; What is wrong with saying you want to research because you want to make the world a better place?
Isn't that what research is actually for?

I really can't see someone being so cynical they reject a volunteer applicant because they say they want to help people. It's not the interviewers place to detect "lies", it's a volunteer position not a job at the pentagon.

Wouldn't reject for that reason. It is the interviewers' place to decide who to hire. It doesn't matter if it's a volunteer position or a paid one. If they're interviewing you and demand exceeds supply (as is the case of many pre-med activities), then they can choose who they want. I choose undergrad researchers (when I get the opportunity to choose) based on what I think they'll get out of it and whether that is consistent with their articulated goals. And whether I can enjoy working with them as people. Having unrealistic goals is a red flag for me and I can't imagine it would appear much differently to a volunteer supervisor in a similar position. It's possible that demand doesn't exceed supply, in which case the interview is a formality only and it doesn't really matter what you say as long as you don't paint yourself as a weird pervert.

I doubt many pre-meds prefer reception-type duties to direct patient interaction. And the latter is certainly favored by adcoms.

Reception-type does interact directly with patients. This kind of role helps out with patient intake, for example.

Reception-type does interact directly with patients. This kind of role helps out with patient intake, for example.
In my experience, those roles are reserved for paid employees in children's hospitals. I'm not aware of any volunteers in children's hospitals who work in any type of reception and also get to work directly with patients.

Where did you volunteer? Sounds like a crappy place.
Anyways; I never volunteered in a children's hospital but I did volunteer in a critical care facility and a lot of what I did wasn't scut work but interacting with patients.
I would be willing to bet that many Children's hospitals are looking for people to volunteer with Children and help them out.
Of course there may be some menial tasks they have you do, but so what?
Taking on volunteers is a large liability and I personally am grateful that there are places willing to take a risk with some teenaged college kid with not much life experience.

Further; It is perfectly reasonable to say you want to volunteer to help people. Depending on your position your job could bring comfort to patients.

In my position I played games with patients, talked with them, etc..

As someone who has been a patient himself,nothing makes ones day brighter than having someone to just sit there and play a game of checkers.

Does it amount to much? Probably not, but just making someone smile makes me feel like I made a difference no matter how miniscule it may be.

Oh,and finally; What is wrong with saying you want to research because you want to make the world a better place?
Isn't that what research is actually for?

I never volunteered in a hospital for the very reasons I stated. Pre-med friends of mine way back in college did and those are their experiences. It's hard to find extra time as a graduate student and post-doc to do anything else, much less volunteer at a hospital.

Saying you want to volunteer to help people is vague and not descriptive at all. Most of these volunteer positions are filled through a volunteer pool at the hospital and you volunteer for that pool. You can list your preferences but there's no guarantee they'll fill them. Sure, you can say specifically that you want to play games with patients and talk with them and in that way, help them by keeping them company. But you should be realistic about it. If you walk in there thinking that you're God's gift to children, you're not getting the position. But that doesn't mean that you're not helping them in whatever small way you can. Keep it all in perspective. If you go on a med school interview and say you're pursuing medicine to "cure people from sickness," that doesn't show that you have a realistic perspective of medicine. You have to keep in mind that there will be people who you can't cure and who you won't be able to help. It's all about perspective.

The same problem exists with saying you want to do research to "make the world a better place." If I asked "why do you want to do research" and an undergrad says "to make the world a better place," I would probably reject that undergrad because that response shows that he or she has not given much thought to it at all. That response is so generic that anybody with Google access (or without) could come up with it. A better response is, "I want to do research because I'm interested in learning how to use the scientific process to pursue unanswered questions. I've always been a curious person and used to set up little experiments as a kid because I was fascinated by how the world works. Now, I want to learn a disciplined way to tackle the important questions in science - the ones that might make a big difference. For example, I'm interested in... And that's the direction in which I want to take my career." The overall "gist" of this response is to make the world a better place but the response shows the interviewer that instead of coming out and saying it.

In my experience, those roles are reserved for paid employees in children's hospitals. I'm not aware of any volunteers in children's hospitals who work in any type of reception and also get to work directly with patients.

I'm not as familiar with children's hospitals as you are since my undergrad campus wasn't near one and so none of my friends volunteered at a children's hospital.

I never volunteered in a hospital for the very reasons I stated. Pre-med friends of mine way back in college did and those are their experiences. It's hard to find extra time as a graduate student and post-doc to do anything else, much less volunteer at a hospital.

Saying you want to volunteer to help people is vague and not descriptive at all. Most of these volunteer positions are filled through a volunteer pool at the hospital and you volunteer for that pool. You can list your preferences but there's no guarantee they'll fill them. Sure, you can say specifically that you want to play games with patients and talk with them and in that way, help them by keeping them company. But you should be realistic about it. If you walk in there thinking that you're God's gift to children, you're not getting the position. But that doesn't mean that you're not helping them in whatever small way you can. Keep it all in perspective. If you go on a med school interview and say you're pursuing medicine to "cure people from sickness," that doesn't show that you have a realistic perspective of medicine. You have to keep in mind that there will be people who you can't cure and who you won't be able to help. It's all about perspective.

The same problem exists with saying you want to do research to "make the world a better place." If I asked "why do you want to do research" and an undergrad says "to make the world a better place," I would probably reject that undergrad because that response shows that he or she has not given much thought to it at all. That response is so generic that anybody with Google access (or without) could come up with it. A better response is, "I want to do research because I'm interested in learning how to use the scientific process to pursue unanswered questions. I've always been a curious person and used to set up little experiments as a kid because I was fascinated by how the world works. Now, I want to learn a disciplined way to tackle the important questions in science - the ones that might make a big difference. For example, I'm interested in... And that's the direction in which I want to take my career." The overall "gist" of this response is to make the world a better place but the response shows the interviewer that instead of coming out and saying it.
Why shouldn't it be vague?
After all an undergrad doing research for the first time shouldn't be expected to function like a grad student or a doctoral candidate.
I wouldn't want to work in your lab, no offense.
I would prefer to work with someone who is more of a dreamer and more creative.
People who are realistic in my opinion won't achieve excellence in research. It is people who dream big and aim for the unachievable who we credit as the greatest scientist.

Wouldn't reject for that reason. It is the interviewers' place to decide who to hire. It doesn't matter if it's a volunteer position or a paid one. If they're interviewing you and demand exceeds supply (as is the case of many pre-med activities), then they can choose who they want. I choose undergrad researchers (when I get the opportunity to choose) based on what I think they'll get out of it and whether that is consistent with their articulated goals. And whether I can enjoy working with them as people. Having unrealistic goals is a red flag for me and I can't imagine it would appear much differently to a volunteer supervisor in a similar position. It's possible that demand doesn't exceed supply, in which case the interview is a formality only and it doesn't really matter what you say as long as you don't paint yourself as a weird pervert.

But it's a volunteer gig in a hospital. It's likely that demand doesn't exceed supply (as is probably the case in research labs). Even if the worst happens and OP encounters an overzealous interviewer that deems his goals unrealistic, there are plenty of quality volunteer opportunities out there that aren't exceedingly competitive.

But it's a volunteer gig in a hospital. It's likely that demand doesn't exceed supply (as is probably the case in research labs). Even if the worst happens and OP encounters an overzealous interviewer that deems his goals unrealistic, there are plenty of quality volunteer opportunities out there that aren't exceedingly competitive.
I wouldn't volunteer for someone like that anyways personally...
Why the heck would you volunteer if it wasn't to just be a good citizen in general? Someone saying that is unreliastic needs a reality check themselves and probably a class on how a society works.

Why shouldn't it be vague?
After all an undergrad doing research for the first time shouldn't be expected to function like a grad student or a doctoral candidate.
I wouldn't want to work in your lab, no offense.
I would prefer to work with someone who is more of a dreamer and more creative.
People who are realistic in my opinion won't achieve excellence in research. It is people who dream big and aim for the unachievable who we credit as the greatest scientist.

Answers to anything during an interview shouldn't be vague. It should tell the interviewer something about yourself and shouldn't sound generic. The more information you present to the interviewer, the better your odds are of getting him/her to like you. As long as that information doesn't involve criminal convictions. This applies during volunteer interviews, job interviews, and med school interviews. Vague answers get you rejected.

Specifically, in terms of research as you mention, undergrads aren't expected to function like a graduate student. But I expect them to articulate their interest in research fluently and realistically. The people who go into research wanting to "change the world" will not only become disillusioned very quickly, but they will burn out because they're not being realistic. You're joining a lab in a field you don't know all that much about. You have no idea how to do the majority of the techniques in that lab and you want to tackle the big questions? Here's a big question: cure cancer. How are you going to do it? You're going directly from point A to point Z without any stops in between and that's not realistic at all.

Here's how we train undergrads. You get a grad student or post-doc mentor, who teaches you the basics of research and the scientific method. Usually, I start them out with critical papers in the field to read. As they read them, I assign them to one of the projects I'm working on. At this point, their role is only to learn the procedures and protocols. You're no use to anyone if you break the million-dollar high-res mass spec machine. I also ask them to read up on the theory behind the machines/techniques they are using. Anybody can do an extraction if I ask them to. It's more difficult to train someone to know when to do an extraction in a work-up without being told. We build up to the point where I can hand them a flask and say "isolate this compound" and they can do all the in-between steps. But initially, they have to do all those steps and learn them well. After they are well-versed in lab techniques and the influential papers in the field, this is the point where I ask them what kind of projects they want to pursue. This is typically 3-4 months into them being at the lab. Usually, this project will make a small advance in the field. It's rare for undergrads to come up with good proposals that are Nature-quality material. In some bright ones, the ideas are there but the execution isn't. It's nice to want to cure cancer. It's much harder to figure out a path through.

Because of this whole long process, I only accept pre-meds who understand what research is and not those who want to jump right into the big questions without any experience whatsoever. The ones who understand that they have to learn to walk before they can run are the ones who excel. For grad students, that walking takes a couple years. Good grad students can effectively tackle parts of some big questions by their second or third years. What makes you think an undergrad can walk in there with no experience and save the world? It's unrealistic and unrealistic to think about.

The people who dream big before they're dry behind the ears are the ones who wash out of grad school. That's five years of experience talking.

Last edited:

If demand doesn't exceed supply for OP's position, then it won't matter what he/she says in an interview unless it's borderline criminal. They have the capacity for anyone and the interview doesn't matter.

But if it is, imagine this. You're interviewer for this position and you ask why the applicant is interested in the position. The applicant says, "I want to help people." And commences to stare back at you. This guy has obviously not read the "job" description and can't even tell you why he wants to help people, how he's going to do it within the context of the job, and how it fits in with his goals. Would you accept him over somebody else who says "I want to talk to patients and through our conversation, hopefully brighten their day. I know I won't cure their condition, but I want to do whatever small things I can to lift their spirits"?

Why the heck would you volunteer if it wasn't to just be a good citizen in general? Someone saying that is unreliastic needs a reality check themselves and probably a class on how a society works.

I would love that class. Would you teach it?

Answers to anything during an interview shouldn't be vague. It should tell the interviewer something about yourself and shouldn't sound generic. The more information you present to the interviewer, the better your odds are of getting him/her to like you. As long as that information doesn't involve criminal convictions. This applies during volunteer interviews, job interviews, and med school interviews. Vague answers get you rejected.

Specifically, in terms of research as you mention, undergrads don't expect to function like a graduate student. But I expect them to articulate their interest in research fluently and realistically. The people who go into research wanting to "change the world" will not only become disillusioned very quickly, but they will burn out because they're not being realistic. You're joining a lab in a field you don't know all that much about. You have no idea how to do the majority of the techniques in that lab and you want to tackle the big questions? Here's a big question: cure cancer. How are you going to do it? You're going directly from point A to point Z without any stops in between and that's not realistic at all.

Here's how we train undergrads. You get a grad student or post-doc mentor, who teaches you the basics of research and the scientific method. Usually, I start them out with critical papers in the field to read. As they read them, I assign them to one of the projects I'm working on. At this point, their role is only to learn the procedures and protocols. You're no use to anyone if you break the million-dollar high-res mass spec machine. I also ask them to read up on the theory behind the machines/techniques they are using. Anybody can do an extraction if I ask them to. It's more difficult to train someone to know when to do an extraction without being told. We build up to the point where I can hand them a flask and say "isolate this compound" and they can do all the in-between steps. But initially, they have to do all those steps and learn them well. After they are well-versed in lab techniques and the influential papers in the field, this is the point where I ask them what kind of projects they want to pursue. This is typically 3-4 months into them being at the lab. Usually, this project will make a small advance in the field. It's rare for undergrads to come up with good proposals that are Nature-quality material. In some bright ones, the ideas are there but the execution isn't. It's nice to want to cure cancer. It's much harder to figure out a path through.

Because of this whole long process, I only accept pre-meds who understand what research is and not those who want to jump right into the big questions without any experience whatsoever. The ones who understand that they have to learn to walk before they can run are the ones who excel. For grad students, that walking takes a couple years. Good grad students can effectively tackle parts of some big questions by their second or third years. What makes you think an undergrad can walk in there with no experience and save the world? It's unrealistic and unrealistic to think about.

The people who dream big before they're dry behind the ears are the ones who wash out of grad school. That's five years of experience talking.
I reckon the question was why research and not what do you wish to take away from your experience at the lab.
Correct me if I am wrong;But to me a vague question deserves a vague response.
Now your scripted answer would be appropriate for the latter but in my opinion not the former.

Anyways I think we are sort of thinking the same thing but through different perspectives. I will just leave it at.

I would love that class. Would you teach it?
Sure!
How about we start by stripping ourselves of our worldly clothes getting a pair of rags and living in a homeless camp in L.A?
That would be a start to a great worldly experience and a life lesson.

*insert obvious sarcasm*

Sure!
How about we start by stripping ourselves of our worldly clothes getting a pair of rags and living in a homeless camp in L.A?
That would be a start to a great worldly experience and a life lesson.

As long as you acknowledge that you realize that "anyways" is not formally a word. ;)

I reckon the question was with research and not what do you wish to take away from your experience at the lab.
Correct me if I am wrong;But to me a vague question deserves a vague response.
Now your scripted answer would be appropriate for the latter but in my opinion not the former.

Are you applying this cycle? I wonder what your results are/would be if you say "I want to help people" and then stare back at them in response to "Why medicine?"

As long as you acknowledge that you realize that "anyways" is not formally a word. ;)
Nope; Just a local dialect mixed in.
I try to refrain from using it in more formal discussion.
Are you applying this cycle? I wonder what your results are/would be if you say "I want to help people" and then stare back at them in response to "Why medicine?"
Nope; I probably will take a gap year as well when I get to my senior year 2 years down. I am half considering applying to the peace corp even..(not for med school, just to do something great and experiencing something amazing)
As for what my answer would be; Well for me I have had a catastrophic medical experience and found the whole hospital setting fascinating as well as seeing all those drugs given to me,procedures done on me, etc

As for what my answer would be; Well for me I have had a catastrophic medical experience and found the whole hospital setting fascinating as well as seeing all those drugs given to me,procedures done on me, etc

Now that's a good, non-vague answer.

Nope; I probably will take a gap year as well when I get to my senior year 2 years down. I am half considering applying to the peace corp even..(not for med school, just to do something great and experiencing something amazing)

I really hope for your sake that you think about your responses to vague questions then. If your stats are up-to-par, you could even consider the big scholarships (e.g. Marshall, Rhodes, Gates, Fulbright, etc.). If you have an idea of what you want to do with the Peace Corp, Fulbright could allow you to do the same thing but with more funding, I think. Worth looking into, especially if you speak the language of the country of interest (unless it's English).

Now that's a good, non-vague answer.

I really hope for your sake that you think about your responses to vague questions then. If your stats are up-to-par, you could even consider the big scholarships (e.g. Marshall, Rhodes, Gates, Fulbright, etc.). If you have an idea of what you want to do with the Peace Corp, Fulbright could allow you to do the same thing but with more funding, I think. Worth looking into, especially if you speak the language of the country of interest (unless it's English).
Well I really want to make life better for people living in poverty;
I think a great part in me doing that would involve promoting contraceptives and pushing for easy access to prevent all these pregnancies in developing country as well as here. The other thing is sex education as well as education on staying healthy.(Exercise, get vaccinated, practice safe sex, how they can get help, where to go for abuse, etc)
Coming from a very poor town and the poorest HS in my county I have first hand witnessed what the lack of education in sex, and health has done.
So many overdosing and ending up in a casket due to drug abuse, crazy high std and teen pregnancy rate due to lack of contraceptive education and safe sex, etc

I could elaborate about certain cases I have read of in PM.

My point is though; Education can help these people. These people feel stuck,they all do the same thing and they never get out of poverty.
This stuff needs to be readily available in counseling, brochures available everywhere, schools, churches,welfare offices, free clinics etc..