Volunteer: Is this worthwhile??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Flamingo123

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi eveyone,
I recently found out about an organization that helps women who are trying to go back into the workforce. These women are usually from underserved population and many are looking for work after coming out of jail or abuse situations. The organization gives them interview clothing and helps with resume and interview prep. I thought this would be a great experience and something I'm really passionate about. However, I went to a training orientation and the average volunteer was 60+ retired woman with years of experience in workforce or peer mentoring. I told the head that as a college student, I don't have much experience as a career coach. She told me I could do administrative or organizational work if I don't feel comfortable doing resumes or until I feel comfortable. (Side note, they also train the 60+ ladies with no career mentoring experience). The clientele will obviously be people older than me.

So my question for SDNers is: is this a worthwhile experience for adcom even of its only admin work at organization for underserved populations?

Sorry for long post. Hope you all can help me :)))

Members don't see this ad.

Hi eveyone,
I recently found out about an organization that helps women who are trying to go back into the workforce. These women are usually from underserved population and many are looking for work after coming out of jail or abuse situations. The organization gives them interview clothing and helps with resume and interview prep. I thought this would be a great experience and something I'm really passionate about. However, I went to a training orientation and the average volunteer was 60+ retired woman with years of experience in workforce or peer mentoring. I told the head that as a college student, I don't have much experience as a career coach. She told me I could do administrative or organizational work if I don't feel comfortable doing resumes or until I feel comfortable. (Side note, they also train the 60+ ladies with no career mentoring experience). The clientele will obviously be people older than me.

So my question for SDNers is: is this a worthwhile experience for adcom even of its only admin work at organization for underserved populations?

Sorry for long post. Hope you all can help me :)))
Yes, it's a worthwhile experience, but far more so if you were to work directly with the group's clients.

I think the experience will be eye-catching enough to stick it out until you are comfortable doing mock interviews. And helping with resumes should be easy to learn quickly.

Reactions: 1 user
Yes, it's a worthwhile experience, but far more so if you were to work directly with the group's clients.
Ok thank you.
Will the adcom find it off that I'm giving career advice and mentoring to women 2x my age with my lack of work experience.?

Members don't see this ad :)
This, plus assuming you, OP, actually appreciate the work you will be doing. If you are just trying to look good for an app, I would recommend doing something you are actually interested in.

Ask if you can help with intake/enrollment. That shouldnt require experience but give you plenty insight into their lives and backgrounds

This, plus assuming you, OP, actually appreciate the work you will be doing. If you are just trying to look good for an app, I would recommend doing something you are actually interested in.

Ask if you can help with intake/enrollment. That shouldnt require experience but give you plenty insight into their lives and backgrounds
Thank you for the suggestion.
And yes it is something I am interested in and would definitely impact me as a person.

Ok thank you.
Will the adcom find it off that I'm giving career advice and mentoring to women 2x my age with my lack of work experience.?
I think you'll find that many of the clients are closer to your age and might prefer your opinion of proper apparel. Much of your experience deficit can be compensated for with observation of others' counseling sessions. I think the positive impact to your application would be worth the effort.