Volunteer Opportunities

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mdhopeful77

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am looking for some volunteer programs to become involved in for this coming school year. I am searching for something that deals with the less fortunate as I have not had experience volunteering with such yet. However, my current schedule only allows for me to volunteer on Saturdays, during which time the most typical examples of volunteering for the needy (i.e. soup kitchens) are closed.

Does anyone have any other suggestions of what I could do for a volunteering program on a Saturday? Would volunteering at a nursing home be considered working with the less fortunate? What about Habitat for Humanity?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!!!

Sent from my SM-G950U using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

Before I even finished reading the post I was thinking habitat for humanity. Sounds like a good idea to me. Goodluck!

Reactions: 1 user
I am looking for some volunteer programs to become involved in for this coming school year. I am searching for something that deals with the less fortunate as I have not had experience volunteering with such yet. However, my current schedule only allows for me to volunteer on Saturdays, during which time the most typical examples of volunteering for the needy (i.e. soup kitchens) are closed.

Does anyone have any other suggestions of what I could do for a volunteering program on a Saturday? Would volunteering at a nursing home be considered working with the less fortunate? What about Habitat for Humanity?
H4H is great. Also consider Meals on Wheels, homeless or women's shelter, food pantry, crisis hotline, tutoring of kids or ESL for adults, Big Brother/Big Sister, Special Olympics or coaching athletic programs for the physically disabled, helping with a scout troop or other youth group in a poor district, or Humane Society.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I would try to get creative and see if you can tailor something to your hobbies and interests. There are plenty of smaller organizations out there. If you can't find something, I'd try hospital volunteering.

Non-hospital volunteering is highly valued becasue it doesn't smack of "two birds/one stone".

Shelters operate 7 days per week. Some soup kitchens do serve on Saturdays. Coaching, tutoring and mentoring for kids can often take place on Saturdays because kids are out of school at that time. H4H might be okay if you are going to be interacting directly with the future homeowners. If if is mostly fundraising or working with other students, then it isn't as highly valued as a service experience.

There are services such as volunteermatch.org that can help you find opportunities in your community that will put you face-to-face with people who need your help.

Reactions: 1 user