Volunteer Positions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tootoo30

Account Closed!
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
How did you all go about volunteering at a pharmacy? Do I walk in and ask the manager of the store or talk to someone in the pharmacy. I'm working fulltime and want to do some volunteer work on the weekends if possible.

Members don't see this ad.

A better answer can be found by using the search function, but here are a couple of suggestions to get you started: try volunteering at a hospital pharmacy. You may have to fight your way to get a spot, but be patient -- one should open up eventually (this is what I did). You'll probably have to go through the hospital's main volunteer department first.

As for retail, just get your name out there. That means hand-delivering your resume to pharmacy managers, telling them you're interested in shadowing or volunteering. Dress nicely -- no jeans or t-shirts.

Shadowing can be an issue at large chains due to liability and insurance reasons. I know for my store, if we had a volunteer hanging around, we'd end up running them over going from this area to that. Not enough space back there!

If you want retail experience, apply part time as pharmacy slave labor (aka clerk).