volunteer possibilites

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

totdoc

totdoc
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hello fellow pre-dents,

I was wondering if you had any ideas of ways to volunteer in the community in terms of volunteerng our time and dental knowledge to an organization, or teaching dental hygiene to students at an elementary school... I wanted to coordinate a project for a group of pre-dental students and I would greatly appreciate any ideas or experiences you may have! thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

totdoc said:
volunteerng our time and dental knowledge to an organization, or teaching dental hygiene to students at an elementary school...

As a pre-dent, exactly what dental knowledge are you referring?

All of you could volunteer in a dental clinic, if there's one near you.

Members don't see this ad :)
i am wondering the same thing too. Not alot of labs around here will take a predent student because they are small private businesses. So I am wondering what other volunteer service I could do that what look good on paper.

depending on where you live maybe you can call different groups, like united way, or even a clinic not in your area that does outreach work, and see if you can lend a hand. maybe they have some reps that will go to your area and you can help organize those meetings. but like others said i dont know what you could show other than brushing teeth without a name or group backing you up

amartins02 said:
i am wondering the same thing too. Not alot of labs around here will take a predent student because they are small private businesses. So I am wondering what other volunteer service I could do that what look good on paper.

I wouldnt ask the lab if you can "volunteer" b/c they might not know exactly what type of experience you are looking for. I would ask them if you can shadow some of the techs to see how things are made. There are probably a ton of labs in your area. If one says no just call the next. Best advice would be to find out what lab the dentist you are shadowing uses and become friends with who ever does the pick-ups. A few days later say "hey do you mind if I drop by to see how you guys make this stuff."