Volunteer Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

thewendster

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi,

I am trying to bulk up my volunteer experience in a short amount of time.. (I.E. doing 100 hours in a month) because most of my medically-related volunteer experience is 5 years old. I was thinking about having the clinic where I volunteer sign a note at the time of my application verifying that I had completed X hours with them and had committed to another 6 months of service. How do you think this will read to the post-bac admissions?

I also want to add that I work 50+ hours a week and have been taking evening classes. (just found out I got an A in chem)... so this has been eating up a lot of my time.

thanks
 
From what I've seen post-baccs & even SMP's generally won't decline a candidate for lack of volunteer/clinical experience unless the're borderline - even then, those are easy things to fix.

It definitely couldn't hurt - but I wouldn't kill myself over it.
 
thanks Max. what would be considered borderline? I have a 4.0 math and science (Calculus and Chem) and a 3.6 cumulative GPA. graduated from New York University. I got a 1290 on the SAT.
I attended a pre-med high school where I spent 100 hours in clinical rotations and 100 volunteer hours at a neurology clinic. Since then (5 years later), I will just be starting a new volunteership this Jan. hopefully will have at least 50 or so hours before I apply.

I will be applying to the big post bac programs, Tufts, Johns Hopkins, Goucher… I have no idea what they're acceptance rate is and I am very nervous.
 
thanks Max. what would be considered borderline? I have a 4.0 math and science (Calculus and Chem) and a 3.6 cumulative GPA. graduated from New York University. I got a 1290 on the SAT.
I attended a pre-med high school where I spent 100 hours in clinical rotations and 100 volunteer hours at a neurology clinic. Since then (5 years later), I will just be starting a new volunteership this Jan. hopefully will have at least 50 or so hours before I apply.

I will be applying to the big post bac programs, Tufts, Johns Hopkins, Goucher… I have no idea what they're acceptance rate is and I am very nervous.

4.0 Science & 3.6 overall should make acceptance pretty easy for most schools. I haven't checked explicit numbers, but you'll be just fine (congrats on the nice work in UG).