Volunteer/Shadowing in the Phils

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Makati2008

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am an American Physician Assistant that will be starting medical school in the fall of 2014 after a 1 year deferment. I was wondering if anyone has any contacts where I can shadow a MD(ER or trauma surgery especially) in metro manila area(preferrably Makati) I have been to asia a few times and I know how to get around in Makati as well as some of the other areas of the metro decently. This would be a two week stint with me possibly doing this twice prior to medical school.

Thanks!
E.
PS-If you have any questions please PM me. Also would the docs in the Phils allow me to help with procedures?

Members don't see this ad.

hello! what do you mean shadow a MD (ER or trauma specialty)?

FYI: sad to say, there are no physician assistants here (unless we call it something else here). basic requirement in any medical work here is a professional medical license duly given to you by the national regulatory body (professional regulation commission or PRC) after going through medical school, post-graduate internship and then passing the local licensure exams.

In the Philippines, shadowing is very rare and unheard of. You can contact Makati Medical Center if they will allow this but I don't think they (MD's) will risk their license and won't allow you to perform procedures even if malpractice lawsuits are rare in the Philippines.