Volunteer?

Started by POnuts
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

POnuts

Junior Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Anyone have any advice on what type of hospital volunteering would involve a lot of volunteer-doctor interaction? Maybe a specific department? ( Hoping that a letter of recommendation would come out of it..) 🙂
Thanks




http://www.freeiPods.com/?r=16391196

(I suggest using the efax offer..you can cancel their free trial after a few days)
 
Volunteers have minimal contact with physicians. I see quite a few letters each year and I've never seen one by a physician on behalf of a volunteer in a non-research setting. You can still get a letter of recommendation based on volunteer work. It will come from the Director of Volunteers, a paid employee of the facility, or perhaps from a nurse-manager on the unit where you did your volunteer work. These are usually unimpressive, at best the writer will mention that you were well-groomed, polite and showed up on time. The worst usually just certify that you volunteered xxx hours at YZ hospital.
 
If you really want a letter from a doc, I think shadowing is a better route towards getting it.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Shadowing...volunteering at a homeless clinic would probably get you more access to a doc.

Ask the Volunteer Coordinator or other premed volunteers at your hospital...perhaps they'd be able to help you out.
 
2tall said:
Shadowing...volunteering at a homeless clinic would probably get you more access to a doc.

Ask the Volunteer Coordinator or other premed volunteers at your hospital...perhaps they'd be able to help you out.


I don't want to sound ignorant, but what exactly is shadowing?
 
Shadowing means following around a health care provider and watching them while they work. Privacy laws are making it more difficult to justify giving non-employees access to patients' information so many docs are not having students shadow them. Some, I think, are getting around it by having school sponsored programs so that students can register for a non-credit program that gives them a physician (often an alumnus) to shadow.
 
How does one go about getting LOR's from professors?
 
Shadowing is great. Just following a doctor as he does his work.

Why not go to a hospital and talk to their volunteer coordinator? Tell them you and working to get into medical school and want a position that would give you good interaction with physicians. They might have something for you.
 
LizzyM said:
Shadowing means following around a health care provider and watching them while they work. Privacy laws are making it more difficult to justify giving non-employees access to patients' information so many docs are not having students shadow them. Some, I think, are getting around it by having school sponsored programs so that students can register for a non-credit program that gives them a physician (often an alumnus) to shadow.

What is your deal lady? Suggest something beneficial or move the hell on!!!
 
fateema368 said:
What is your deal lady? Suggest something beneficial or move the hell on!!!
What the hell is your problem? With all these HIPAA laws I think she is presenting sound advice. If you really want some doctor interaction why not ask your family physician or a doctor you know that you are interested in medical school and would like to shadow or get a job working with a doctor. I'm sure they can give you pretty good references.
THis is somewhat related but my parents told their vet that I was interested in vet school. The veterinarian than told my parents that I shuold come work for him to see if I really want to go to vet school. I might just do that. So see if you can contact a doctor and get some suggestions. Working at a hospital is really good too. You could be a care assistant, nurse's aide, phlebotomist etc.