SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by predental89, Jun 1, 2008.

1. predental89

predental89 7+ Year Member

Jun 1, 2008

I am a Pre dental student and I was wondering what are the biggest things dental schools look at as far as volunteering goes. For instance should I join any societies? or clubs.
  2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. SugarNaCl

SugarNaCl Dental Student Moderator Emeritus 5+ Year Member

Apr 28, 2006
    Akron, OH
    Yes, it helps to be involved in community service and to show you have an interest in the dental profession. Shadowing a dentist is very important. It is more important than anything, however, to keep that GPA up. If you have to sacrifice volunteer work or GPA, sacrifice the volunteer work.
  4. diplo123

diplo123 5+ Year Member

Apr 30, 2008
    I agree 100%. Just thought I'd let you know.
  5. jigabodo

jigabodo Dentist 10+ Year Member

Mar 12, 2006
    Louisville, KY
    Shadowing is pretty much like an "unofficial requirement" set by all dental schools.
  6. doc3232

doc3232 7+ Year Member

Feb 15, 2008
    I think you have your answer. Just shadow a dentist, then do other things if you have hours to spare. You don't need 500 hours like others have by the way.
  7. Sama951

Sama951 2+ Year Member

Apr 14, 2008
    Go on like a habitat for humanity project in some foreign country and build a house, that looks amazing on a resume and it's fun as hell hahaha
  8. Montserrat

Montserrat Proud of my Pats 5+ Year Member

Aug 15, 2007
    Definitely shadowing - otherwise, you have no "experience" observing in a setting that you are applying to devote your livelihood to.

As far as other volunteering - doesn't necessarily have to be dental related. I got props from one interviewer for helping an outdoor organization zone off bird nesting sites and native American burial grounds. It can have absolutely nothing to do with dentistry, but everyone to do with with who you are.
  9. billermo

billermo Member 5+ Year Member

May 17, 2005
    They want you to be sure you know what the profession is all about. Make sure you can speak some of the "lingo" during the interview. They may ask you to identify specific teeth and lingual/labial surfaces. I've heard that some schools make you instrument and obturate a canal. Maybe those are the Ivy Leagues. Glad I didn't interview there.

Honestly, 40 hours and a letter from a dentist and you're golden.
  10. jigabodo

jigabodo Dentist 10+ Year Member

Mar 12, 2006
    Louisville, KY
    I am so glad this didn't happen to me either.
  11. jcdent27

jcdent27 2+ Year Member

Oct 11, 2007
    Like most everyone else has mentioned, shadowing a dentist is important as kind of an "unwritten" rule. As far as other volunteering goes, do something that you are genuinely interested in. Don't do something just because it looks good on an app. For example, I volunteered as a tutor for elementary students. I had a great time doing it and made for easy conversation during interviews.