volunteering abroad

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ak47

flossy flossy
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anybody know of any programs for volunteering anywhere in Africa that are medical/dental related? Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I went on a 2 week dental-related service learning trip through this organization:

http://www.islonline.org/

I went to Costa Rica/Nicaragua and really enjoyed it, a friend of mine went to Tanzania through the same organization and had a great experience as well.

Hope this helps! Message me if you have specific questions.

I went out to Mongolia with these guys: www.projects-abroad.com

Really good supervising doctor, in the largest paediatric hospital in the country, although Projects Abroad can place you at a number of different hospitals, as you wish.

They have a staff team in Mongolia, and - i believe - in every other country they offer medical programmes in, and these guys will arrange everything for you predeparture, and make sure everything goes smoothly when you get there (If you go to Mongolia please say hi to Otroo and Oko for me!)

There will also be lots of other volunteers from around the world doing different projects to you, but you all hang out together - it makes for a really nice little community. I found a couple of 'lifelong' friends among them - we went off travelling around mongolia at the end of our projects!

I went to Lima with Cross Cultural Solutions, and had an extremely positive experience last summer. I even met my girlfriend there. :D

One particular aspect of this program I liked was being in a house with English-speaking people from the US and UK... it was a nice buffer zone in a foreign country.

I volunteer in Mother Teresa's Center for the Dying and Destitute Hospice, and they have plenty of other medical placements.

http://www.crossculturalsolutions.org/
Africa

Volta Region- Ghana
Rabat- Morocco
Cape Town- South Africa
Kilimanjaro, Rural Kilimanjaro, and Bagamoyo - Tanzania