Volunteering and Shadowing in same summer???

Started by deleted421268
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

D

deleted421268

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Is it possible to do both volunteering and shadowing of a physician in the same summer? Also how many hours of shadowing and volunteering do med schools want?
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I don't see why you couldn't. I'm not quite sure how many hours med schools want. I'm only aware of how many hours vet schools want/prefer. The number(s) may differ from med schools, so maybe check the med schools that you're interested in individually and see what their requirements are?

Edit: I searched around and here's a few threads. They may help a little. I don't have much knowledge on that matter, so maybe someone else can give you a better answer 🙄.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...optimal-for-medical-school-acceptance.665382/
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/how-many-hours-should-i-shadow.705854/
 
Last edited:
There is absolutely no reason why you can't do both at the same time. You are over estimating the time commitment of shadowing.

Currently I shadow from about 7AM to around 1130 AM. Then I drive to a local uni to take a summer pre req. After all of this, I can still play dota for a billion hours a night. AND get the hours I want.

Schools dont have requirements on shadowing.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Lots of people do both at the same time, and it's really no trouble. Medical schools don't have specific hours requirements for shadowing. The guideline that I tend to follow for shadowing is about 50-100 total hours across a few different specialties, including one primary care physician. But, really, in one summer you could shadow, volunteer, and still have all kinds of time to goof off.

Good luck to you!
 
Definitely aim for about 100 shadowing hours over a number of different specialties. Look for upwards of 150 clinical volunteering hours and some arbitrary x amount of non clinical volunteering hours. Quality and large time span of volunteering hours is what you're looking for. For example: 200 hours over a year and half >>> 200 hours in one summer