Volunteering and Shadowing Questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

NavySheets

New Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I was a corpsman in the Navy and had experience with L/D (2 years, deployment to Philippines) and primary care with my BAS (1 year with a 9 month USMC OEF deployment).

Does this count for clinical experience? I've been out for almost 2 years now (will be 3-4 years when I apply to med school since navy). I was going to try to volunteer / get clinical experience at the VA. With my military history and some VA work that should be enough right?

I was going to get volunteering done with my Student Vets Organization and my public health organization.
I'm trying to think of other things to do, but falling short.

I want to help other vets and low-income families. Unless of course the above is enough for volunteering.

Lastly in regards to shadowing, I'll probably apply mostly DO. I was planning on shadowing an MD and a DO to get both perspectives. However, would an MD school view a LOR / Shadowing experience from a DO negatively?

Thank you!
 
Clinical experience? Big time!
Shadowing, probably not. A military doctor's day might not be considered the same as a Primary Care doc's day, or a ObGyn's day.

If anyone would be cut some slack for this, it would be you.

Many thanks for your service to our country. One of my all-time best students was a corpsman.


Does this count for clinical experience? I've been out for almost 2 years now (will be 3-4 years when I apply to med school since navy). I was going to try to volunteer / get clinical experience at the VA. With my military history and some VA work that should be enough right?

I was going to get volunteering done with my Student Vets Organization and my public health organization.
I'm trying to think of other things to do, but falling short.


I want to help other vets and low-income families. Unless of course the above is enough for volunteering.


No.
Lastly in regards to shadowing, I'll probably apply mostly DO. I was planning on shadowing an MD and a DO to get both perspectives. However, would an MD school view a LOR / Shadowing experience from a DO negatively?