Volunteering at a Hospital Pharmacy

Started by Confusant
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Confusant

Pharm Phreak
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Situation:

From this year's November til February next year, I will be doing a full-time paid research project (9am - 5pm Monday to Friday) at the University. At the same time, as a pharmacy student, I feel that I should be exposed to some clinical aspect of my degree. I am thinking of volunteering at a hospital pharmacy for half a day on Saturdays during the four months specified earlier.

The reason I have decided to pursue the "volunteering" option is so that 1) I will not be subjected to the same expectations of a paid employee (I am totally noob in clinics) 2) My saturdays will not be strictly controlled, and therefore I can afford to call in and say "I will not be coming in today" 3) I intend to do this only for the four months and would not like to be bound by any associated contracts.

Would hospitals take me?
 
Situation:

From this year's November til February next year, I will be doing a full-time paid research project (9am - 5pm Monday to Friday) at the University. At the same time, as a pharmacy student, I feel that I should be exposed to some clinical aspect of my degree. I am thinking of volunteering at a hospital pharmacy for half a day on Saturdays during the four months specified earlier.

The reason I have decided to pursue the "volunteering" option is so that 1) I will not be subjected to the same expectations of a paid employee (I am totally noob in clinics) 2) My saturdays will not be strictly controlled, and therefore I can afford to call in and say "I will not be coming in today" 3) I intend to do this only for the four months and would not like to be bound by any associated contracts.

Would hospitals take me?

usually I say volunteering is bull**** but it sounds like a really good idea in your case. yes, some hospitals may take you, but not all.

So are you not in school Nov-Feb? How did you manage to score a full-time paid research position without having to skip out of classes?

Is it for credit?