Volunteering/EC activities

Started by yeshymae
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

yeshymae

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am wondering if there is any advise on this from nontraditional students who have a family like kids and a spouse?
Since my undergraduate degree is going to be Kinesiology, I am doing volunteer work with the YMCA and other youth sports programs because my children do sports and I can also spend it with them while being their coach (win win for everyone) I am just worried this might not count or be enough.
With school and being a parent/wife and working i would like to know what type of EC and volunteering you guys did that fit that busy lifestyle.
 
I am wondering if there is any advise on this from nontraditional students who have a family like kids and a spouse?
Since my undergraduate degree is going to be Kinesiology, I am doing volunteer work with the YMCA and other youth sports programs because my children do sports and I can also spend it with them while being their coach (win win for everyone) I am just worried this might not count or be enough.
With school and being a parent/wife and working i would like to know what type of EC and volunteering you guys did that fit that busy lifestyle.

Your volunteer work with the YMCA would count as non-clinical volunteering. It's good for medical school admissions, but you do want clinical experience (work or volunteer as a scribe, at a hospital, anywhere where you would have contact or talk with patients) and shadowing in addition to that.
You could continue volunteering at the Y so you can see your children, but you may have to find a time where you can volunteer in the clinical setting too. I admire how parents can manage their time with their kids and be pre-med or study medicine because it is tough!
 
With school and being a parent/wife and working i would like to know what type of EC and volunteering you guys did that fit that busy lifestyle.

My daughter was born in my senior year of college. I stayed in school at least part time (during grad school it was full time), post-bacc was part time. I also worked 60 hours a week or more depending on the year. I had medical volunteering in an ED at 4/wk. My non-medical was volunteering for a space education non-profit at 10/wk. That was birth to age 6. When she was 7, she moved to my mother's and I really started picking up the pace with everything.

Time management is the thing, I didn't even list the work I was doing with my daughter's school.