Volunteering/EC's

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EHCMD

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
ok...so as a non-trad pre.med i've been trying to figure out what to do as far a volunteering/ec's...i'm gonna try for a few hours a hospital, but in addition to that what counts towards volunteer/ec hours...

i'm part of a homeless ministry at my church...just started this year and committed myself for 1-3 hours per week...

i'm also a female motorcycle rider and want to look into joining some the local MC organizations that raise money for various causes (i.e. Breast Cancer, Cancer Research, ToyRuns)...

oh and i'm also looking to get involved in an organization that my church supports which sends medical mission trips to Peru...my son is actually going this summer...but I can't go...and i can't go during the regular mission trips because they are during the school year...but i want to see how i can help here and how i can help them prepare...if i can do anything...

but these are things that i'm going to do anyway...whether it helps me get into med school or not...so my question is... will these look favorable for volunteering/ec's or should i look into doing things that are more medically oriented?...and if so...what do you suggest?

thanks...

Members don't see this ad.

It sounds like you have enough on your plate, and you're very involved in the type of humanitarian causes that show your dedication to helping others. IMHO, ADCOMs are looking for people who are qualified (GPA/MCAT), can demonstrate (not describe) your desire to help others, and describe why you want to be a doctor, without necessarily alluding to volunteer experiences.

it sounds like you've done enough. Volunteering is not about medical experience necessarily...it's about demonstrating compassion.

ok...so as a non-trad pre.med i've been trying to figure out what to do as far a volunteering/ec's...i'm gonna try for a few hours a hospital, but in addition to that what counts towards volunteer/ec hours...

i'm part of a homeless ministry at my church...just started this year and committed myself for 1-3 hours per week...

i'm also a female motorcycle rider and want to look into joining some the local MC organizations that raise money for various causes (i.e. Breast Cancer, Cancer Research, ToyRuns)...

oh and i'm also looking to get involved in an organization that my church supports which sends medical mission trips to Peru...my son is actually going this summer...but I can't go...and i can't go during the regular mission trips because they are during the school year...but i want to see how i can help here and how i can help them prepare...if i can do anything...

but these are things that i'm going to do anyway...whether it helps me get into med school or not...so my question is... will these look favorable for volunteering/ec's or should i look into doing things that are more medically oriented?...and if so...what do you suggest?

thanks...

Yeah I agree with the above poster but would add that you do need to have some clinical experience. You need to shadow at some point because while adcoms are looking for volunteer work, they also want to see that you have been exposed to at least a little of what life as a physician has to offer.

thanks...

Hey Guys...

I was reading through some of the current threads and came up with a question about Volunteering/EC's...

I quoted my original post above to give you an idea of what i'm doing volunteer-wise...in addition to these opportunities I'm looking into volunteering at a hospital or free clinic...and of course finding some Dr's to shadow...

...in addition to the activities in my original post I've participated in a Mission Trip to a border town in Texas; and will be participating in a Shoes for Orphan Soles shoe drive...

My question is this...should i request some sort of documentation or LOR from these event organizers or just list them chronologically in the appropriate section of my application?

thanks