Volunteering experience is more of shadowing?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

crazykaitie

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm currently "volunteering" at local vet, but in reality I'm doing more of "lurking" than anything else.

There are many vet techs at all times, and my help isn't really needed. The vet I'm shadowing is usually pretty good about making sure I get to watch surgeries and other procedures, but I still feel unwelcome. I try to stay out of the way and observe as much as I can, but it isn't what I'm looking for.

Do you think I should ask the vet I'm shadowing if I can do something more? Or should I treat this experience as a low-key shadowing experience? It's the first time I've been in a vet office doing this sort of thing, so I'm willing to get used to the environment, see how things work, etc. There's also a possibility that I will get to work in a different clinic in an actualy volunteering position.

Members don't see this ad.

In many places, "volunteering" and "shadowing" are nearly indistiguishable due to things such as workers' comp.

If you want to get hands-on experience, try applying as a paid assistant or as a kennel worker and work your way up.

I'm currently "volunteering" at local vet, but in reality I'm doing more of "lurking" than anything else.

There are many vet techs at all times, and my help isn't really needed. The vet I'm shadowing is usually pretty good about making sure I get to watch surgeries and other procedures, but I still feel unwelcome. I try to stay out of the way and observe as much as I can, but it isn't what I'm looking for.

Do you think I should ask the vet I'm shadowing if I can do something more? Or should I treat this experience as a low-key shadowing experience? It's the first time I've been in a vet office doing this sort of thing, so I'm willing to get used to the environment, see how things work, etc. There's also a possibility that I will get to work in a different clinic in an actualy volunteering position.

I'm new to SDN like yourself, but I thought I'd give my thoughts on your situation since I've had a similar experience.

The last vet clinic I volunteered at made me feel that "I'm always in the way and never helpful" vibe at first. I lurked around and tried to watch as many procedures as possible without getting in the way. I found the way to best make myself useful was to do things I KNEW how to do and knew would be helpful to the staff (laundry, filing, cleaning cages, etc). The more everyone noticed I was helpful in doing those sort of things, the more they started asking for my assistance with other more medical related tasks.

Also, once I got familiar enough with everyone who worked there, I found myself more comfortable asking the techs and vets questions and asking if I could try procedures myself.

Just stick with it and get to know everyone-- I know I was surprised at how much more helpful and open the vets and techs became over the time I worked with them.

Best of luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Volunteers in the clinic I work for do tend to do alot of hanging out and observing - the best ones are those that stick their head in and say "What can I do to help?" Try asking if there is anything you can do to help - let them know you are interested in learning and being of assistance.

Shadowing is still a good experience - you get a chance to see if you are interested in private practice or get an idea of how a particular practice is different from another - one of our volunteers that's been coming over school breaks for a couple years now as a pre-vet student has actually deceided to be a vet tech instead because she liked that part of the job more than what our doctor was doing. Its definately worth hanging in there and getitng familiar with a practice and get a feel for how things are long term.

I would get in there and see if you could help, let them know you're willing. However looking into another position isn't a bad idea because the more varied experience you have the better you will understand how things work in the real world.

I felt a little in the way at first too at the clinic where I shadow, but like someone else said I did my best to stay out of the way and help with the things I knew how to do. I ask questions when appropriate and try not to be a pest.

The longer you're around the staff sort of get used to you and begin to trust you more and more.

I also try to remember that I'm a guest and do not offer any opinions or feedback on anything I may or may not agree with.

Yeah, I've been there. My experience was particularly frustrating because I'd already been a paid assistant at both a reg vet and an e-vet practice, so I already knew how to restrain, run bloodwork, draw blood, place catheters, ect. When I started volunteering I couldn't do nearly as much because of liability issues. Remember that clinics are businesses first; they hire the help they need for their caseload, and the good ones will invest a lot into making sure their staff is properly trained. A lot of clinics will support pre-vet volunteers and shadows too, but they can't be as sure about volunteers, so your role might be limited.

Get involved in as many aspects as you can. Read charts, observe in the exam room (if they let you), read the consult books, ask questions. Don't get too stressed that they won't let you do procedure-type stuff yourself; vet school admissions committees will not test you on your ability to place an IV catheter. Be helpful. Network. I got a letter of reccommendation from a vet I "lurked" with, and the LOR got me in.

Good luck!

I got a letter of reccommendation from a vet I "lurked" with, and the LOR got me in.

:thumbup:

This is what I'm hoping for. The vet I shadow with is also the vet that treats my brood of animals. I thought it was very cool that he's letting me shadow at both his regular clinic and e-clinic any time I want.

Thanks everyone! This is all very encouraging. I just got back from volunteering (this must be my 5th time or so) and it was a great day! I think it was because they were busier than usual, but I got to help a lot more than I have before.

I would also agree with some comments above, the staff is much more accomodating once they've gotten to know me a little better. And that I'm sticking around for a while.

Thanks again!

I should mention that veterinary experience is veterinary experience, whether you are shadowing, volunteering or working a paid position. I heard of a girl who was asked to volunteer in a clinic's boarding facilities. Because of that, she did not get to see very many procedures. She ended up leaving because she was not seeing as much cool stuff as she liked. The entire time she was there, her disappointment showed and she ended up coming off negatively to some of the staff. So whatever you do, do not mope! lol

I second that you should do things that you already know how to do. :thumbup:.

I agree with what everyone said in here. Stay out of their way and be as helpful as possible, sometimes asking if there is anything you can do to help. Vet clinics probably get a constant flow of volunteers with vet dreams, some of who might not like what they see and leave.. so no one wants to invest too much in a volunteer at first. If they see you're in for the long haul (or at least more than a month or two), they'll trust you more. I am glad things are looking better!

Of course positions where you can get hands-on experience is helpful, but people really don't give shadowing enough credit. You want to go to vet school! There is SO MUCH a vet does that you really can't do any of right now and that has nothing to do with the procedures' technical aspects.

Even if you're not 'in the action', take note of what's going on and ask questions when you're with the vet - what were you looking for with that specific test? How do you read the results? What's the approach in solving this problem? What would you see if it was a different issue? What do you think about when giving different drugs? What other species does this problem come up in? How do you handle breaking the news to a client?

My favorite shadowing/volunteering opportunities were always with ambulatory vets, and large animal experience is great even if you're not interested in going into it. Appointments where, since a lot of ambulatory vets don't have techs all the time, you get to help a bit more - as well as ample truck-driving opportunity to talk about anything form the above questions to what they wish they'd known going into vet school to what the most interesting cases they've ever seen are to their opinions on current issues in the profession. Seriously learned more about being a veterinarian in those truck drives from farm to farm than I ever did doing work at clinics.

I got a different experience when I first inquired to volunteer at the clinic I now work at. The vet was happy to get someone who was so interested in vetmed to work for free that he had me helping from the start. My first day I was restraining patients and tried pulling blood and then went out in the field where I was able to palpate a cow and pull out a calf.

I agree that you should look at large animal vets, you could get more hands on time.

My favorite shadowing/volunteering opportunities were always with ambulatory vets, and large animal experience is great even if you're not interested in going into it. Appointments where, since a lot of ambulatory vets don't have techs all the time, you get to help a bit more - as well as ample truck-driving opportunity to talk about anything form the above questions to what they wish they'd known going into vet school to what the most interesting cases they've ever seen are to their opinions on current issues in the profession. Seriously learned more about being a veterinarian in those truck drives from farm to farm than I ever did doing work at clinics.

This. After spending over a year riding in the truck a few times a week with a particular vet, he's like a second dad to me! I learned some much about his practice philosophy, lessons he's learned being in the field over 30 years, and just general life stuff.

Gems: Don't give goats lidocaine. In Wisconsin winters, peanut butter and bacon sandwiches will get you through long days of palpating cows.

But seriously, those truck rides are great. We always went over each appointment in the truck after we'd left, because we could talk openly about it since the client was no longer around. Great discussions, and I learned a lot.

but people really don't give shadowing enough credit. You want to go to vet school! There is SO MUCH a vet does that you really can't do any of right now and that has nothing to do with the procedures' technical aspects.

Absolutely! Shadowing, if you do it well and take advantage of that opportunity, is a great learning experience. BUT - you have to truly make the most of it: Ask questions, read charts, ask questions, listen to clients, ask questions, watch the technicians, ask questions, listen to the receptionists, ask questions.......

Absolutely! Shadowing, if you do it well and take advantage of that opportunity, is a great learning experience. BUT - you have to truly make the most of it: Ask questions, read charts, ask questions, listen to clients, ask questions, watch the technicians, ask questions, listen to the receptionists, ask questions.......

I agree 100%. I'm shadowing for the first time ever now (I know... 2nd year of vet school is kinda late, but whatever), and I'm learning soooooo much. Yes, I do get to practice things here and there, but a bulk of my learning has been through observing and talking with the vets and techs. The vets have been gracious enough to really talk me through pretty much every interesting case they have. Often times, they'll have me look at radiographs, any microscope stuff, bloodwork, etc... and will let me take a stab at it before telling me their interpretation. It's great to be able to ask and see why certain drugs/procedures are used over others (sometimes there's a medical reason, sometimes it's for a practical reason, but both are just as important). It's been an invaluable experience for me to have that kind of one-on-one mentorship. If I were actually working there as a tech, I'd be so busy putting in charges on the computer, running this test and that, getting a client settled in a room, all the other miscellaneous logistical tasks, etc... that I wouldn't have the time to really follow through with each case. And perhaps I'm able to get more out of this now since I'm currently learning about the pathologies of the stuff I'm seeing in the clinic, but I don't see why anyone can't learn things appropriate for their knowledge base. There's so much to learn on so many levels.

I've found that making myself useful goes a long way in terms of gaining respect from the staff/vets, and the more helpful I am, the more they're willing to go out of their way to teach me things. I try to find things that ALWAYS need to be done (that no one can really f*** up) but can hold up the flow of the clinic if not done, like cleaning and restocking exam rooms between patients, putting things away back in the proper place, etc... If nothing exciting is happening, the doctors are busy charting/calling, and the techs are lunching or something, I'll even go and help hunt down missing charts for the receptionists. Esp with the techs, lightening their load by doing their grunt work gives them the extra time so they can slow down and give me pointers about how to obtain/run clinical samples and such. It ends up being a win-win, and I don't have to feel bad about wasting anyone's time at the end of the day.