Volunteering hours?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ChewyDrop

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
How does volunteering hours work when applying to a dental school? Do they ask for a log sheet? I just joined a service/volunteering organization at my university (Lions Club International), and I am not sure if the hours that i put in for the organization can count towards my volunteering hours for dental school.

Members don't see this ad.

No log sheet is asked for and it sounds like those hours would be considered volunteer hours for dental school.

When submitting your centralized application through AADSAS, there is a section for "Extracurriculars/Volunteer/Community Service". Under this section you write the name of the organization, your role (volunteer), a brief description of what you did, and the number of hours.

I would recommend trying to get a lot of hours with one good volunteer role because you have a limited amount of entries that need to be used for extracurriculars as well.
So basically get most of my volunteer hours at a hospital or something like that? What is a good number of volunteering hours i should aim for? As for the organization, does being in a volunteer organization help your application.

I was in a similar club that had me volunteering at many various places. I lumped them all together under [club name], estimated total hours, and described a few of the activities. In your interview, you can go into more detail. Hope that helps :)