volunteering hours

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

osims

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So im applying for the 2009 cycle and i was wondering what is the typical average amount of hours of volunteering one completes before applying? also, on the aadsas application can i add the hours i volunteered in high school?

Members don't see this ad.

I dont think schools look at how many volunteering hours you have.
I think that they look at what kind of volunteering you have done. As far as hours... you dont need as many as shadowing hours.

Schools like Tufts will want proof that you shadowed at least the minimum number of hours they requested. Doesn't have to be a full blown recommendation from the dentist but just a letter stating the hours.

I included volunteer hours from high school, but only a few. The more current the hours the better, but don't leave anything out just because it was a while ago. Adcoms probably like to see that you have done service for a while, not just the year before you apply... I think I ended up with about 150 volunteer hours, and I got four acceptances, so that was enough for at least four schools ;)!