volunteering hours

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shyrynyy

shirin
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, I was wondering if you guys could help me out with this...
I am applying for the 2009 cycle and have about 50 hours of volunteering until this point...which i think is really low...
I want to start doing on day volunteering projects through out May to add on a substantial number of volunteering hours to my application..
do you think this is a good idea? will they look on it negatively?

do I have to state exactly what ive done and WHEN ive done it on the aadsas application..because im affraid it would not look good if they see Ive done 50 hours right before i apply...
any ideas? comments?
i'de appreciate it :)

Members don't see this ad.

IMO, the hours before you apply are better than what you previously had before...assuming that it doesnt conflict with your gpa or anything like that.

thanks for the response....but my main concern is to figure out if i will have to indicate on the aadsas application dates that ive volunteered ... because in that case having 50 hours for example in May looks pretty bad... does anybody know the depth of info I will need to enter into aasas in the volunteering section?... :)
thanks you guys

Members don't see this ad :)
It asks you when you did it from what month and year to what month and year, so it doesn't really work well for one day things. They're really looking for long term things, even if its only an hour or two a week.

If you've already got 50 recent hours, you're probably fine, and if you do have some significant one day things, I'm sure that will be fine too. It's really a small part of the app.

i got into dental school with only 30hrs'ish of dental volunteering :)

i got into dental school with only 30hrs'ish of dental volunteering :)

Were you doing something else to make up the time? Like working or participating in sports?

Do not volunteer just to volunteer. Cramming in hours is useless. They want to see an accumulation of hours over a long period of time to show dedication, persistence, etc. to your activities.

Do you have work hours, research, another leadership activities?

I have been working part time as a dental assistant for few years and just a year ago decided to pursue dentistry. I'm a post bac psyc major...so i didnt start doing voluteer work until last year when i started working at a free dental clinic...but everyone says you gotta have good volunteer hours and ive only been able to fit in about 50...

Were you doing something else to make up the time? Like working or participating in sports?

I have been working part time as a dental assistant for few years and just a year ago decided to pursue dentistry. I'm a post bac psyc major...so i didnt start doing voluteer work until last year when i started working at a free dental clinic...but everyone says you gotta have good volunteer hours and ive only been able to fit in about 50... I have no sports or research hours

i work as a volunteer dental assitant at a clinic. On AADSAS, would I just list that under the dental experience column or should i list it twice under the dental and the volunteering column? I definitely want to emphasize that it's volunteer work...thanks!

i work as a volunteer dental assitant at a clinic. On AADSAS, would I just list that under the dental experience column or should i list it twice under the dental and the volunteering column? I definitely want to emphasize that it's volunteer work...thanks!

I called AADSAS and asked that exact question and I was told to include it in both the volunteering and dental experience sections.