Volunteering Opportunities

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HawkNelson

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
What type of volunteering opportunities are there for High School / College aged people who plan to attend dental school?

I already volunteer at my local hospital but I don't know if that would matter since it doesn't do with dentistry.

Members don't see this ad.

What type of volunteering opportunities are there for High School / College aged people who plan to attend dental school?

I already volunteer at my local hospital but I don't know if that would matter since it doesn't do with dentistry.

I had no dental related volunteering on my application, besides shadowing, and I was accepted. If you do volunteering that highlights your leadership abilities and your commitment to a community, cause, or effort that might be enough. Its hard to find volunteering thats related to dentistry, besides shadowing.

I had no dental related volunteering on my application, besides shadowing, and I was accepted. If you do volunteering that highlights your leadership abilities and your commitment to a community, cause, or effort that might be enough. Its hard to find volunteering thats related to dentistry, besides shadowing.

So volunteering at a hospital is alright to use as a reference for volunteering when you go to dental school? I wasn't really sure if the volunteering I did had to be dental related or not.

Members don't see this ad :)
So volunteering at a hospital is alright to use as a reference for volunteering when you go to dental school? I wasn't really sure if the volunteering I did had to be dental related or not.

In your application you add in volunteering, EC and Shadowing. They aren't used as a references but more as talking points for your applicant. You can add in the hospital volunteering and its gonna be fine. What i'm saying is volunteering can't really be dental related, the only thing that can really be dental related is shadowing.

In your application you add in volunteering, EC and Shadowing. They aren't used as a references but more as talking points for your applicant. You can add in the hospital volunteering and its gonna be fine. What i'm saying is volunteering can't really be dental related, the only thing that can really be dental related is shadowing.

Alright. Thank you very much.

Last edited:
Seeing that your location is in Washington I doubt this will help you, but for any pre-dental students in NY who are interested; you can volunteer at NYU's dental school. I just completed the paperwork yesterday and will be getting an ID soon. I still have to get a health clearance and make hours but from my understanding they place you in a dental clinic and you get to observe students and volunteer in some capacity.

Why not volunteer at the UW dental school? I know there are several positions available, provided you are up to date with your vaccinations and boosters. This way you can get volunteer hours, meet faculty in the dental school, and hopefully get exposure to the different types of dentistry.

If you're in the Seattle / Tacoma area look up medical teams international. Best shadowing experience you can get and 100% dentistry related!