Volunteering & research (military veteran)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Maintainer

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I plan to volunteer in VA Los Angeles since it is most familiar facility to me (I am a veteran)

but I have no idea which one is considered as clinical volunteering.

Here is the list

http://www.losangeles.va.gov/giving/

Also, I do not know where to start doing research.

I am sort of interested in doing research on PTSD although I had no opportunity to go to middle east in my Army career.

So, I googled several times about PTSD research in Los Angeles area but nothing really came up.

Unfortunately, in community college, all researches are based on general topics such as MCB or Chem.

I do not want those types of research.

Any advice?

Members don't see this ad.

In my limited experience, your research opportunities are going to be limited to the academic labs at your institution. To go a step further, you'll be limited to who has space in their lab and will take you. Try and look at it as an opportunity to learn about the scientific process, even if it's not your end all be all. Having said that, you do want to have an interest in what you're doing, even if it isn't as catchy as "PTSD research."

I'm pretty sure the clinical volunteering question has been beat to death in these forums. If you're in the same room as a patient, it counts. The more patient contact, the better.

In my limited experience, your research opportunities are going to be limited to the academic labs at your institution. To go a step further, you'll be limited to who has space in their lab and will take you. Try and look at it as an opportunity to learn about the scientific process, even if it's not your end all be all. Having said that, you do want to have an interest in what you're doing, even if it isn't as catchy as "PTSD research."

I'm pretty sure the clinical volunteering question has been beat to death in these forums. If you're in the same room as a patient, it counts. The more patient contact, the better.

I appreciate for your help!