Volunteering/Research

KAP

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 20, 2005
    I'm applying to schools in June and have only one semester of volunteering at the dental unit of my university's hospital. However, I have a really high GPA and will get decent DAT scores. How much research and / or volunteering did you guys do that got into schools like UCLA, Upenn, nyu, etc.?

Sprgrover

Pulped out Moderator
    Moderator Emeritus
    10+ Year Member
    7+ Year Member
    Jun 4, 2004
    Philadelphia, PA
      I had about 40 hours of volunteering as a dental assistant at a non-profit dental clinic in addition to some other extra-curriculars and volunteering experiences. I think that with what you have now you should be just fine. Best of luck!

jav316

10+ Year Member
      5+ Year Member
      Jan 17, 2005
        Sprgrover said:
        I had about 40 hours of volunteering as a dental assistant at a non-profit dental clinic in addition to some other extra-curriculars and volunteering experiences. I think that with what you have now you should be just fine. Best of luck!

hi - what kind of qualifications did you have in order to be able to volunteer as dental assistant? i know there are some courses but i'm wondering if you need to complete a course to volunteer

About the Ads

asr28

10+ Year Member
        5+ Year Member
        Feb 2, 2005
          Kap,

Your high GPA (3.4+) and DAT scores (20/21+) will get you really far..you will most likely get interviews at all the top schools. Volunteering at a dental clinic/hospital is great as well, but having a dental research project behind you is a MAJOR plus to get in (but def not required). I've completed 2 dental research projects in my undergrad years and that really impressed my interviewers. In fact, at most of the interviews I've been to (eg. Upenn, Uconn, Columbia, Buffalo, Stony Brook, etc), all they wanted to talk about was my research! I've gotten interviews at all the schools I've applied to (except Harvard so far) and have been accepted to all the schools I interviewed at! I attribute most of this to my research! =)

Sprgrover

Pulped out Moderator
          Moderator Emeritus
          10+ Year Member
          7+ Year Member
          Jun 4, 2004
          Philadelphia, PA
            jav316 said:
            hi - what kind of qualifications did you have in order to be able to volunteer as dental assistant? i know there are some courses but i'm wondering if you need to complete a course to volunteer

None - I simply called them and they were starved for assistants so I went in and learned as I went along.

About the Ads
            This thread is more than 16 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
            2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
            3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
            4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
            5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
            6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
            7. This thread is locked.