Volunteering/Shadowing in a pharmacy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

mattbrown1990

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello. I am looking to do some volunteering or just even do some "shadowing" of a pharmacist so that I can write it in my application that I am aware of the profession at least..I have visited about 20 pharmacies in my neighborhood and asked if I could do some volunteering or shadowing at least for at least once a week for a month or so and they all seem to be reluctant. It seems to me that they think i will just be a burden or an obstacle even if they dont have to explain to me anything or so....

So my question is..for those who have done some volunteering or so in a pharamcy, how did you get that position other than already knowing someone in the pharmacy and through friends or so..
 
I had the same problem too. I tried to do volunteer programs through local hospitals but they all eliminated pharmacy volunteering, I guess too much risk letting random people have access to drugs. So I did general hospital volunteering for a year until I luckily found a pharmacy that would let me! My college has a pharmacy at the student health center that I convinced them to let me volunteer in. Now I work there as a cashier and I love it.