volunteering VS working as pharm tech

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

steveysmith54

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
what looks better? Volunteer in hospital in patient pharmacy VS working as a tech in retail?

For a future pharm school applicant

Members don't see this ad.

I am currently volunteering at a hospital pharmacy and it is real cool, I think working as a tech would give you more experience though because you can do more. As a volunteer there are only certain things that you can do because I work with a robot and it fills the prescriptions, if you have a less demanding schedule comming up soon I say try both.

I would say being a tech is more valuable for not only your application, but for your own experience. I had 2 "pharmacy experiences" on my application. I did a summer internship (shadowing) for a total of 40 hrs. All I did was inventory, organize insurance forms, and just watch the tech's fill. I thought I knew enough about pharmacy.

After I didn't get in my 1st year, I was told to get more experience. I became a clerk at WAGs for 6 months where I also typed and process new scripts and refills, dealt with insurance claims, etc. Wow, what an experience.

Now that I looked back at my experiences, working at WAGs is what made me understand what really goes on in a pharmacy. I learned how scripts are processed, how insurance worked, how rx's are called in, how refill requests are done, how customers can be so mean, how stressfull it can be, etc.

I believe shadowing is a great start but if you have time, make sure you do some tech work. It'll give you another perspective.

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree. Working in a pharmacy as a tech allows you to see the big picture. Although I have never shadowed or volunteered, I can tell you that as a tech I see the good and the bad side of pharmacy everyday. Volunteering or shadowing would probably mask this element.

Plus, as a tech, you can get certified, which means you can put those stupid letters behind your name (I only use mine for application or resume purposes). Schools and employers like to see those letters because that means you know what you are doing (or as in my case, I'm supposed to know what I'm doing!)

Lastly, you get to earn $$$ as a tech, which you cannot do as a shadower or as a volunteer.

Why not get your certification and work in a hospital? There are always pharmacy tech jobs available in hospitals, they usually pay you better, and you learn about all types of medication that you'll never see in Walgreens.
Unless you want to work retail after graduation, but most retail pharmacists lose their knowledge and skills after working in retail for long periods of time.
I think hospital pharmacy is definitely more hands-on and probably looks better to a panel. Most pharmacy schools are grooming students to become clinicians.

how exactly does one become a pharm tech? Where do you get certified?

how exactly does one become a pharm tech? Where do you get certified?

Since PTCB is not accepted in every state, it's best to check with your state's board of pharmacy to find the requirements in your state. You can always google [insert state] board of pharmacy or be more specific [state] pharmacy technician license requirements.

You can also walk into any pharmacy (preferably when they're not busy) and ask them.

could we do both if we had the time....especially for a h.s. senior like me?

i volunteered as a pharmacy tech and was able to do everything that a regular tech did as i was accepted into pharm school and volunteered there a year before i went through the app process so i could have the experience. i didn't want to quite my other job as it was much higher paying, but wanted some experience. i think it depends on the hospital as to what you are able to do as a volunteer. i was delivering meds, filling meds, and preparing IVs.

I volunteered for almost a year at a free clinic before I got into pharmacy school. It was a little shocker walking behind the counter of a "real" pharmacist the first time, but really they only thing you dont get as much of compared to a tech, is work load and exposure to patients. I still learned a lot as a volunteer, and actually learned more of the clinical end of things watching the doctors and nurses work than you would ever learn normally at a drugstore.

I chose to volunteer rather than get a job, because I already had a good full time job, and was taking classes several nights a week, so the volunteer hours worked well with my schedule.

If you do decide to get certified, dont bother with an expensive course, just get yourself some good study books (do a board search), and you will be fine.