Aug 18, 2015
Status
Pre-Medical
I have the opportunity to volunteer this year at two different locations, however, scheduling conflicts may lead to me having to choose between the two.

Volunteer position 1 would entail that I volunteer in a training hospital at a rehab centre. Here I would be greeting and directing patients and their family members to different locations about the hospital.

Volunteer position 2 is at a non-profit sexual health centre. Here I would be processing specimens and cleaning exam rooms. In addition to those duties, I'm also expected to participate in community awareness events such as Pride and the AIDS walk of life. I'm more enthusiastic about this position because it gives me the opportunity to be more involved in the community and their mission statement resonates with me. It's something I'd like to do for the long term.

Which volunteer position would look better in the end? That I volunteered at a larger teaching hospital or the smaller non-profit sexual health centre?

nwts

2+ Year Member
Jun 9, 2015
Status
Pre-Medical
It depends upon what you need in your application. The second position would be non-clinical volunteering since you would not have patient contact (unless there is some other thing you would be doing besides the stuff you mentioned which would involve interacting with patients). If you need clinical experience, the first position is really a much better option. However, if you already have enough clinical experience, then do whichever is most meaningful to you.

Dr.Sticks

2+ Year Member
Nov 24, 2014
Status
Pre-Medical
I have the opportunity to volunteer this year at two different locations, however, scheduling conflicts may lead to me having to choose between the two.

Volunteer position 1 would entail that I volunteer in a training hospital at a rehab centre. Here I would be greeting and directing patients and their family members to different locations about the hospital.

Volunteer position 2 is at a non-profit sexual health centre. Here I would be processing specimens and cleaning exam rooms. In addition to those duties, I'm also expected to participate in community awareness events such as Pride and the AIDS walk of life. I'm more enthusiastic about this position because it gives me the opportunity to be more involved in the community and their mission statement resonates with me. It's something I'd like to do for the long term.

Which volunteer position would look better in the end? That I volunteered at a larger teaching hospital or the smaller non-profit sexual health centre?
Volunteer opportunity two is much better.. Also are you English or something? "centre"
Anyways..
Yeah, volunteer opportunity two is much better. I had the same situation, in the end I realized I'd be wasting my time just greeting patients and learning nothing.
Plus, if I was asked what I learned from it "nothing" would not go down well.. So I went to the place where I would be more involved.

sovereign0

2+ Year Member
Dec 22, 2014
Status
Medical Student

That's the better option.

OP
T
Aug 18, 2015
Status
Pre-Medical
Thank you for the input. I know I could always use more patient contact, but I really like being involved in the community and I like the idea of being involved in promoting a healthy lifestyle and removing taboos surrounding the topic of sexual health. This is also true of my interest in mental health. I could talk about those things forever, but I feel like my interests are all over the place.

@Dr.Sticks - No, just Canadian.

Dr.Sticks

2+ Year Member
Nov 24, 2014
Status
Pre-Medical
Thank you for the input. I know I could always use more patient contact, but I really like being involved in the community and I like the idea of being involved in promoting a healthy lifestyle and removing taboos surrounding the topic of sexual health. This is also true of my interest in mental health. I could talk about those things forever, but I feel like my interests are all over the place.

@Dr.Sticks - No, just Canadian.
Ah!
Well dude you answered your question yourself.. If you are passionate and dedicated to this cause, and do extensive work in it, can present that passion you become pretty competitive in the clinical experience department that is..

Goro

7+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2010
Somewhere west of St. Louis
Status
Non-Student
1 >>>>>>>>> 2

oopsaloo

2+ Year Member
Feb 1, 2015
Status
Medical Student
Personally, 2 sounds more meaningful (it feels like most premeds do things that sound like 1, so 1 sounds more generic). However, both seem useful in general for an application so decide what you'd rather spend your time on and go with that.