Volunteering

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MaxiVaxx

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I understand med schools want service-oriented proactive volunteering. If you volunteer for something, that is itself an act of service, will adcoms accept this? For instance, if you volunteer for a coronavirus vaccine trial as an act of service for your community, is this even in the same realm as what they want? This has taken up a substantial amount of my free time during the pandemic (I work full time in a coronavirus research lab) and I can't find any other volunteer opportunities atm.

It's definitely a stretch, but it is called volunteering. It's just passive.

Members don't see this ad.

Volunteering for the COVID vaccine trials is definitely a noble and great thing to do, and I'm sure it'll make your app more interesting, but I don't know if that's something you should do for the sake of med school admissions. It alone won't be substitute for the volunteering activity(ies) you need.

You'll need longitudinal service with the underserved, like the homeless or underprivileged youth, as a part of your app.

Reactions: 3 users
So I understand med schools want service-oriented proactive volunteering. If you volunteer for something, that is itself an act of service, will adcoms accept this? For instance, if you volunteer for a coronavirus vaccine trial as an act of service for your community, is this even in the same realm as what they want? This has taken up a substantial amount of my free time during the pandemic (I work full time in a coronavirus research lab) and I can't find any other volunteer opportunities atm.

It's definitely a stretch, but it is called volunteering. It's just passive.
Not going to move the needle, but it's novel.

Service should be to those less fortunate than yourself.

Like it or not, COVID has likely delayed your career plans. Your health is more important.

Reactions: 1 user
I’m a participant in a covid vaccine trial as well. It’s a noble thing to do, but it’s not really the same as other types of community service. Like you said, it’s very passive, and once you get through the initial visits it’s not really much of a time commitment either. I’m not an Adcom, but I’d still probably look for other community service.

I would not list it as “volunteering” (especially since you’re likely getting financial incentives) but I WOULD consider mentioning it in secondary apps/interviews where appropriate. It’s an interesting talking point, and all the docs I’ve worked with on rotations have been really interested in hearing my experience, so I’m sure adcoms/interviewers would be curious as well.

Reactions: 1 user